Why are Falangs so rude when bargaining

Torneyboy

Why do many falang throw the item back on the table and walk away in disgust often over a few cents in their own currency.

I know the seller will chase after you but when the bottom line has been reached that is it pay the price IMO.

No need to be down right rude to the thai sellers (often young family members) :doah:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one TorneyBoy,

I dont understand this neather ? Im from England, and am not proud to say, but when ever something like this has happened, you can garrantee 99% of the time, that the ediot in question comes from England.

I like more then anything in the world, then to banter and and try to drop the price, and what ever you pay it is going to be over priced anyway, but at least at the end of a deal, have the curtesy to buy that thing that you wanted in the first place and buy it was a smile.

When i was in Samui, most of my thai friends i made while i was out there were thai sales people, trying to sell one thing or anouther, and upon being happy about the barter and smilling away while paying for what ever it was that you got, the next time i would buy something of the same people, again i would barter, and say it finally ended up at 300 Baht, i pay 500 Baht note, my change would end up being something like 250 Baht back, and be greeted with this really nice smile from any of the sales people.

Bartering is fun,but the thai people them selves are even more fun, ;) Cheers Roman

Hi Roaming,

Not being biased here but I think that 99% is a little strong. I know that a number of us Brits aint got the best buying manners in the world, but then neither have the germans, french, americans, or scandiavians.

All in all there are good and bad in every race. It just seems easier to spot them in Thailand..

one of the few cases of loss of face, western type. Losing against the "little thai people"......

To be fair, some thai merchants have besome downright rude when a farang just tells them he thinks it's too much and "no, thank you very much". It never happened to me, but i have had a few friends, not the rude type, surprised at how bad the merchant reacted to the no-deal.

hello buddy :)

Your probably right in what you are saying, but when ever i hear of a disturbance as im walking down the road, it genually is a loud mouthed Brit :(

Im not saying were all bad :D but i wish just a few more of us, would see the fun in things that we are not used too and not try to start a fight or worse, imbarase the pore little thai guy trying to make a few Baht to feed his wife and family.

Im probably being too hard, hahahahhahaha Cheers Roman

* To be fair, some thai merchants have besome downright rude *

I can certainly agree with this I spent about 3-4 mins looking at a couple of watches on a stall in Patpong market and decided against purchase since they were crap quality. The scamming little salesgirl actually tried to charge me 200b for her time spent trying to sell me the crap :: This was one of the few occasions when I have been verbally abusive to a Thai :cussing:

Says pattaya127:

one of the few cases of loss of face, western type. Losing against the "little thai people"......

To be fair, some thai merchants have besome downright rude when a farang just tells them he thinks it's too much and "no, thank you very much". It never happened to me, but i have had a few friends, not the rude type, surprised at how bad the merchant reacted to the no-deal.

I have seen both sides.

But the falang being rude after he cant get his way just is not on IMO :dunno:

Hi,

East meets West. Most Western tourists are ignorant of the game, and play it badly. A couple of visits ago, I brought two 'Falang' women to LOS, from Hawaii. I was appalled at their 'haggling' with Thai vendors. Fucking ridiculous! 30 minutes over 20 baht. And then later in the evening, they would say, "I feel soo sorry for these people.....they are sooo poor".

WTF?????? Then why are you trying to take the last baht of profit away from them?????

I read them the RIOT act, that they will never forget!!!!! Actually, we don't even talk, over this issue. I was discusted, and embarrased.

"Falang shit"..... I do understand this sentiment. I've seen it.

HT

Archived