Why are Falangs so rude when bargaining

Torneyboy

but i have had a few friends, not the rude type, surprised at how bad the merchant reacted to the no-deal.

Some thais have come to believe that they have an absolute right to the rich farangs money, and a farangs refusal to turn it over just shows why they are "farang."

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

30 minutes over 20 baht. And then later in the evening, they would say, "I feel soo sorry for these people.....they are sooo poor".

Some farang who are new to bargaining at retail get caught up in not wanting to pay too much and don't always realize there is nothing wrong with paying the thai's bottom line price.

Than there are the idiots described by torney who are probably rude no matter where they are.

Hi,

"What other options are there? Is a "fuck off" ever justified?"

Of course.

While not a streetvendor, a cabdriver once quoted me 200 Baht to go from Soi Cowboy to Ekemai (at 2am). I asked him (in Thai) if he was crazy and walked away.

I have no problem in showing my anger, or at least my displeasure, if the situation warrants it.

Sanuk!

Well, the way I see it is that if we say screw it, it would cost 10 times that in my country, I am getting a great deal here. I have to say bullshit to this mentality. You have to think with baht and not your own currency. And then wonder why the prices keep getting higher and higher. And wonder why the seller is harder to bargain with. I for one don't appreciate it when people think "its only 20 baht, that is nothing in my country".

ZMAN Z28

Says dreamer:

I once bought a ladle for drinking water from a hardware market and paid 20 baht without bargaining. Mighty pissed off when I got home and everyone realised that the farang who had been trusted with this one simple job overpaid by 10 baht!

But you got the item you wanted and paid what you thought was a fair price.

I guess many falang buy the item take back to the hotel and that is the end of it they will not know the ""right Price"".

Have seen many just hand over the money and no hassel just want to buy the goods.

someone

else bought it more cheaply than you, but were you really ripped off

if that happened

If the price is posted or given to everyone the same, and then bargained lower by some, then no. But if I am told the price is 20 baht when everyone else is told it is 10 baht that is a ripoff in any language. You can say it is only "10 baht" but it is really "100%". :(

Says dreamer:

Yes, agree, just something to laugh about.

My girlfriend?s mother would have bargained but I had no idea of the price and it seemed fair. I did think about the price before agreeing but said to myself, ?Get a life?.

Get a life LOL

A low price for an item may attract less attention from falangs..and just pay.

When they start asking for one more t- shirt to be thrown in the deal that things get out of hand sometimes IMO

Archived