Why are Falangs so rude when bargaining

Torneyboy

when the bottom line has been reached that is it pay the price IMO

If the seller come after you it is obviously not the bottom line and leaving is part of the process. Throwing down could be considered rude; but not leaving. Sometimes we seem to fault ourselves a bit too much. We have no obligation to pay more they we expect to pay. If the price is not what we want we move on.

That said, admit there are some who will just bargain to hear themselves talk and not even intend to buy. That I would consider rude; as would most Thai I suspect.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with lopburi... I think that there are some people (perhaps not many, but some) who view barganing as warfare.. It's like "I'm going to bury this guy or else" mentality... Sure it's a game.. in part... The seller gives you a price (perhaps inflated or not) and you counter offer... back and forth until both buyer and seller are content... You, the buyer, hold two powerful cards: You have the money and 2) You can always walk away...

I think that it destroys part of the "fun" (some will say that barganing is not fun, but in Thailand it's part of the gig there) of barganing when people (both buyer and seller) start to get ugly and rude... Throwing things back on the table or at a sales clerk falls into this category..

If you think they're beign rude to you... take your baht next door and shop there... That's the ultimate in an economic powerplay!

--UPSer

TB,

Good subject here.......

The trick and the game that has to be played is one that gives both parties lots of face at the end, you that have bargained down and bought something of good value in your eyes, the seller having sold something and made a profit.

I will always remember 1978 in the old souk in Jeruzalem, I bargained over 7 hours for a hand-made wooden chess board....... after many discussions and lots of cups of tea, the deal was done :) :)

Cheers !

Says lopburi3:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

when the bottom line has been reached that is it pay the price IMO

If the seller come after you it is obviously not the bottom line and leaving is part of the process. Throwing down could be considered rude; but not leaving. Sometimes we seem to fault ourselves a bit too much. We have no obligation to pay more they we expect to pay. If the price is not what we want we move on.

That said, admit there are some who will just bargain to hear themselves talk and not even intend to buy. That I would consider rude; as would most Thai I suspect.

True.

When they come after you it is usually after the buyers last bid was refused..and as walks the seller goes after him saying ok ok you pay 200 or whatever the last price was.

Either way no need to be rude at all IMHO

Says HIGH THAIED:

Hi,

East meets West. Most Western tourists are ignorant of the game, and play it badly. A couple of visits ago, I brought two 'Falang' women to LOS, from Hawaii. I was appalled at their 'haggling' with Thai vendors. Fucking ridiculous! 30 minutes over 20 baht. And then later in the evening, they would say, "I feel soo sorry for these people.....they are sooo poor".

WTF?????? Then why are you trying to take the last baht of profit away from them?????

I read them the RIOT act, that they will never forget!!!!! Actually, we don't even talk, over this issue. I was discusted, and embarrased.

"Falang shit"..... I do understand this sentiment. I've seen it.

HT

30 minutes over 20 thb, :bow:

It makes you feel like saying to the guy here have 20 on me.

The whole thing can be fun why get so angry about it just enjoy the experience IMO

Says romaning2004:

hello buddy
:)

Your probably right in what you are saying, but when ever i hear of a disturbance as im walking down the road, it genually is a loud mouthed Brit
:(

Im not saying were all bad
:D
but i wish just a few more of us, would see the fun in things that we are not used too and not try to start a fight or worse, imbarase the pore little thai guy trying to make a few Baht to feed his wife and family.

Im probably being too hard, hahahahhahaha Cheers Roman

My sentiments exactly ::

I agree its not good to be rude. Maybe these people have just had a bad day or have been ripped off that many times by Thais that its just the last straw that breaks the camels back.

I have been at the end of a Thai guy shouting abuse at me because I offered him such a low price. Of course I just smiled and walked off, I wont say what I felt like doing to the guy.. :cussing:

I know this is a seperate issue but, I find THE most infuriating thing about being ripped off in Thailand is when I come to leave. The taxi driver, without exception, always trys to jack up the price when I get out of the cab at the airport..

I once bought a ladle for drinking water from a hardware market and paid 20 baht without bargaining. Mighty pissed off when I got home and everyone realised that the farang who had been trusted with this one simple job overpaid by 10 baht!

KNow the exact expected price of most things that I am buying and dont like to be robbed.. If they try to act like a theif I will treat them like one.

Would like to know how you go about treating them like a thief.

Some vendors will size you up and decide you don't know the going price and hit you with a sky high opening bid. This pisses me off because they are not just trying to make some extra baht, they are knowingly making a fool out of you.

Some here will say just walk away. What other options are there? Is a "fuck off" ever justified?

Archived