Any recent info on City lodge and The Ambassador?

folgore

Hi

Time to delurk.

I will be going to Bangkok for the first two weeks of October and am looking for info on good hotels along upper Sukhumvit.

I stayed at The Manhattan in April but one of the shift managers gave my GTG friend attitude and I am now looking for something similar that is also guest friendly.

I have been looking at The ambassador and The city lodge but the info I found was from 2002.

Does anyone have any more recent info? Any suggestions on other good hotels in the 1000-2000 bath/day range is of course welcome.

BTW. Thanks to all who have contributed to these forums. The info and the stories has been very helpful and enlightening. :)

/folgore

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ambassador hotel is good bet... center of action.

Pl. make sure to book your room as Double and you will not have any problem with your guest / joiner fee, when you come back with your tilac. I travel almost every month and stay here.

cheers :beer:

vinod

I have stayed at the ambassador, but on this last trip they raised their price over 20%. Now this was the middle of a really slow, slow season. I know for a fact they had high vacancy, but wouldn't budge from a really stupid rate. The last time I stayed there it was over new years just this last Jan. And the rate was 20% less. What is up with that. So in the 900 to 1000 range they where merely ok, but now they are completly off my list. I think they are suffering from the same disorder the grand president is. "Greed" Oh well I think their marketing people are mangaging to get in tour groups to try and fill out their vacanies, but I bet they are paying way less than the rack rate. I can't believe they will just let a room-night perish rather than quote a decent price. Oh well I think that the whole ambassador feel has changed too. I Think that moving the bandstand and beer garden over to the big concrete slab was a big bone headed move. Now all they have is a big empty paring lot in front of them on Suk. Looks really run down, where before it looked like "hey something is happening here" I will never figure out how business works in LOS. But on the other hand there is no worry of the place ever getting to be anything but an economic red headed step child. And in many ways I find that endearing.

I stayed there last week and had no problems. Even had two girls up in the room doing a photo sesion during the afternoon and no probs with security.

Make sure u book a double and they will leave you alone.

I always book thru the internet and pay in advance, paid 1300 for a double inc breakfast, in the Tower wing much better rooms IMO, and they even have no smoking rooms which I like.

Planning to be back first week in October.

Keep thinking of trying out the Manhattan but just as I do then there is a report like the one above that is very negative.

So, for the moment I'm happy with the Ambassador and I actually like the new beer garden they are building a big new stage and plan to bring shows with dancers to the beer garden. I like the feeling of so much empty space bang in the middle of Sukhumvit. Can't believe it will stay like that for long.

Uniformguy

RE bAmbassador: See my recent trip report, I think called "One Day in Pattaya". Talks about my arrival experience at the Ambassador.

I always stay the tower wing. The rooms acroos from the elevators are better than the ones by the maid stations- the maid station eats up 1/4 of the room space.

I've been sleazed by the security there on girls, even though I always take a double. Both times involved two girls coming up to meet me. On 2 different trips, the security scum came along and demanded more money. Gave him 50 baht once, closed the door without a word the other time.

Thanks for the input guys.

I think I will give The Ambassador a try when I arrive. I plan to just stay in BKK for a few days and then go to Pattaya for a week so if it sucks I can always choose another Hotel when I return.

Cheers :beer:

Just booked again for ten days at the beginning of October at 1200 for a double TW room inc breakfast. I think that is hard to beat.

By the way the TW rooms are fully booked from 6 Oct to 10 Oct 2003. There's a big conference that week.

Uniformguy

• 3 months later...

I to have been sleazed by the secuirity guard at the ambassador tower also. He also has a big mouth about what you have bringing up to your room when he does not get all the money he tries to shake out of you. A real downside of this hotel is having to negotiate with this guy when going to your room and figuring out what he is telling your guest in Thai. Of course you do not have this problem with him in the standard rooms as his booth is only in front of the elevator for the tower rooms :nono:

Archived