Where to take the kids??

>>>Took my wife's son and nephew to Siam Park City (water park, I hated it, they thought it was nice), the water park in The Mall Bangkapi (they liked this one as well) and Safari World (again, liked).

They are a bit older though (11 and 10).

Oh, and all of these parks are in BKK, which might be too far.<<<

These places do sounds like what I am looking for, and if I will be doing the travelling by plane, then BKK probably wouldnt be too hard to get to.

My only concern would be actually getting around in BKK itself with all the traffic and stuff, I feel that it would be a little too hectic for both the kids and me trying to keep them under control. Maybe an idea though if I could get an organised trip from the hotel though.

I will certainly add it to my list.

Thanks.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"These are 2 islands that I have never travelled to before, can you recommend any good places to stay near to the beaches and things that the kids may like (ie. ice cream vendors )? "

I've been to Koh Chang as well, without kids though. Its a lovely island - my fiancee reacted that the place we stayed was so quiet that she was afraid of ghosts!

You will want the whitesands beach as an area to stay, its not as remote as a lot of the other places there. Take a look at this WEB site:

http://www.whitesandsthailand.com/

Its further away from BKK than PTY, I think it takes about 4 hrs from BKK to Trat. From Trat you take one of these cars with open seats to go to the quarry. And a pleasant surprise - they did not try to cheat us. We ended up paying the same price as I read later. I don't remember how much now, but cost to get there is not bad. 300 BTH or so for a person by bus from BKK, added to that comes the transport to the ferry and then the boat.

You can book accomodation as you are waiting for the boat to Koh Chang as well. I did not stay at whitesands beach, I stayed at Chai Chet bungalows near to Klong Prao.

I don't know if its ideal for kids - you can get elephant trekking there though and other stuff. I would pick Koh Chang as a romantic place to relax without any disturbances. Its not developed as Koh Samui (yet). You can get internet there, Some small waterfalls which costs money to view (pathetic and so small in my view). Thais like them.

Cheers!

Hi CBK,

>>>You will want the whitesands beach as an area to stay, its not as remote as a lot of the other places there. Take a look at this WEB site:

http://www.whitesandsthailand.com/ <<<

Ko Chang certainly looks like an extremly beautiful place to see, although having now read a lot of the site, I now feel that this would be more suited to when me and the wife manage to get some time to ourselves. As you said, "Ko Chang is a romantic place to relax without any disturbances", it really does look like.

I reckon I will definately make some time for Ko Chang, in the future, but it will definately be with the missus, I feel it may well be a little too quiet for the kids, but who knows?

Thanks for the info. :up:

I like to stay at Silver Sand Villa in Jomtien. I prefer the older building in front (2-3 floors) as opposed to the newer building in the back though I've never stayed in the new part. The rooms are large with hardwood floors. Ground floor room next to the pool is ideal. Has two pools and the beach is across the road only about 100 meters away. Has a buffet breakfast, small open air restaurants with decent prices within walking distance. Also a 7-11 is nearby. Catch baht buses right in front of the hotel. Friendly staff. Great, convenient place to stay with young kids. I don't have the phone number handy but I can dig it out if it's not available on Internet. I'd make a reservation if I wanted to try for a poolside room. Last time I was there with the family 3-4 years ago rooms were around 1000baht. Be sure to tell them bahnawk sent you so I can get my cut. :)

I don't know if you've been to Jomtien before but the beach is not like something you'd see on Samui or Chang. But the water is swimable, not too dirty.

I don't know the address for Pattaya (water) Park but everyone knows where it is. You need to hire a baht bus to take you there since they have to leave their route, about an 80baht ride I'd guess. I like to pack a cooler of beer and drinks and snacks for the kids although food and drinks are available inside. I have a blast on the high slides, end up all bruised after a couple of days, mostly from going down head first.

A little off subject but on one trip there I took my son out to a beer bar with pool tables, connect four etc. The girls were all over him while I drank beer and shot pool. He was only about four at the time but still remembers it now five years latter.

All this reminiscing makes me want to go there myself, it's been too long.

Baht buses are fine for anything inside Pattaya and going to Jomtien.

Outside PYA, this is where your hotel choice is important.

If you get a friendly and helpful staff to recommend a taxi to you, you don't need to join a tour or wait for a mini-van to pick you up (not always great with kids getting impatient in the hotel lobby). Tiger zoo in Sri racha may be costly, but mini-siam, monkey shows, etc.... You should find thru your hotel some taxi or rented bahtbus who will get you to these places for 2, 300 bahts RT.

Also, check the tourist office half way up the Big Buddha Hill, left of the exercice park as the road starts turning, they should have a Pattaya map/catalogue of all things one can do when visiting the region and the city.

Royal Garden Center, the big mall on Beach rd and 2nd Rd has a 3rd floor with plenty of games for the kids to play. Cool when it's raining outside.

About hotels, good staff come and go, but i think kids this age will be a hit with the thais, and that should pay dividends to get help about anything.

Unlike many here, i do not find Pattaya that sleazy, so it may get a bit naughty as the night advances, in certain sois, but really, i dare anyone to tell me that any of their hotels and their lobbies are a replica of Sodoma and Gomorrha.

You will feel absolutely ravished from all the attention your kids will get from the female population, as we all know so many are mothers already.

Anythting more precise, you can PM me too.

Hi BKB,

It seems that you have ruled out Koh Chang on this occasion and I do admit that it is quite a journey from your present location, so I shall just say a few words about Koh Samet.

You can go to Samet from Pattaya in a minibus. I was there last time in May, it takes some 2 and a half hours to Ban Phe and from there the ferry to Koh Samet is another 45 minutes. You can get this as a package from any travelling agency in Pattaya or Bkk for that matter.

So it is easily combined as a sidetrip from Pattaya.

However, they may drop you off at Aow Wong Deuan that is a rather upmarket place with mainly thai guests. Cheapest place here is stiff 1.500 bht.

You should probably stay at the first large beach on the Northeastern side of the island Haat Sai Kaew, Crystal Sand Beach. This is where most people stay. Room Rates start at 400 bht.

Plenty of shops, restaurants, bungalows, ice cream vendors, small supermarkets, barbecued chicken, squid, massage on the beach, banana boat rides, longtail trips with glassbottom boats, island tours with swimming and fishing. I am sure there will be plenty of other kids around too.

Usually the water is calm and quite shallow on this beach.

Beautiful sand on the beaches of this island, hence the name Crystal Sand Beach.

I found the seafood to be great and affordable on this island.

Whatever you decide.

Have a great trip.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Hi bahnawk,

well that was certainly a pretty comprehensive insight for Jomtien.

I have stayed there before, but I cant remember the name of the hotel, I think it had dragon or lion statues at the entrance...I did like it there though.

Sounds like you had a fantastic time while staying there, and quite rightly so.

So does your boy remember things there in a good or bad way?? (just interested)

>>>All this reminiscing makes me want to go there myself, it's been too long. <<<

Then what are you waiting for?? :up:

Thanks.

Some good interesting and informative points you have raised there P127.

I am glad you told me about the Royal Garden Center and it's 3rd floor, that will come in handy not only for this trip, but for many more when the missus needs to get some shopping done in Pty. No longer will I have to sit and suffer eating a McDonalds just to help relieve the kids boredom whilst waiting.

I do also agree with you about Pattay not necessary being 'that' sleazy, yeah we all know it exists, but surely not in every square metre of the place.

BTW, what does 'Sodoma and Gomorrha' look like ::?

I will PM you if I need more detailed info.

:beer:

I really must pay Koh Samet a visit, I have known quite a few people that have been there, and have really enjoyed themselves along with their kids.

Sounds like I am going to need around 6 months to explore all of the areas that all you guys have been posting, hopefully enough to keep the kids occupied during our next visit.

:up: :up:

Hi BkkB,

Samet sounds good to me as well, a friendly island, not too far away from Bkk or Pattaya (airport wise).

In Trat Bkk Airways opened an airport so easy access to Koh Taksin, oops sorry, Koh Chang is assured.

Archived