Best country for the kids - Thailand or foreign?

I would like to know which country those with Thai kids, 50% or 100% - think its best to grow up in?

My own view is that probably the ideal situation is both - to get in touch with both cultures. Of course good environments can be found everywhere, and there are a lot of factors.

One point in my own country is racism. With people looking down on Asians comes gang culture, Asian kids getting together and getting involved in bad stuff. The reasoning behind this being that they are looked down upon in society anyway.

What about Thailand and this factor? I would think thats a smaller problems there toward foreigners kids or step kids?

Input appreciated. Where would you like your kids to grow up - in an ideal situation?

Cheers!

Hi CBK,

it looks like my kid(s) will be growing up here in LOSD. It's more in my line of work to stay here.

From an eductaional point of view I'ld like to be in a Western country in a few years time however, and I'm slowly working on that. Good education in LOS seems to be very expensive.

I agree that both expereinces would be best, so I hope to be able to offer this at some point to them.

Hi CBK

As a father of 2 I have to say that I very much prefer to see my kids grow up in farangland. They will have so many more options here. (for someone with my level of income that is)

In fact that was one of the reasons why I left Thailand in the first place. I wasnt able to afford a good education for my son in LOS.

Thankfully, I have never experienced any racism showed towards my sons in my country.

When we stayed in Thailand and when we go there, my kids receive a lot of positive attention by thais, sometimes to a degree where I am almost embarassered because they so obviously are treated much better than their own kids.

However, my wife claims that if they were to attend an ordinary primary school in LOS with no Luuk Kruengs they could very well have a hard time due to the fact that they are 50/50. Dunno.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Says check_bin_krap:

I would like to know which country those with Thai kids, 50% or 100% - think its best to grow up in?

My own view is that probably the ideal situation is both - to get in touch with both cultures. Of course good environments can be found everywhere, and there are a lot of factors.

One point in my own country is racism. With people looking down on Asians comes gang culture, Asian kids getting together and getting involved in bad stuff. The reasoning behind this being that they are looked down upon in society anyway.

What about Thailand and this factor? I would think thats a smaller problems there toward foreigners kids or step kids?

Input appreciated. Where would you like your kids to grow up - in an ideal situation?

Cheers!

Hi

My wifes son is 9 and goes to school near the floating markets(lives with her parents) when he finishes primary school we will bring him to Oz to finish his schooling and go to UNi etc.

The hours we work (she owns a Restaurant) could not give full attention and pick up after school and so on just at the moment anyway.

I have been to the school to see him and the school (no falang teachers or students) they even asked me if i would like to teach english !!!! :D

If have a choice i would say falangland forsure.

"Thankfully, I have never experienced any racism showed towards my sons in my country.

When we stayed in Thailand and when we go there, my kids receive a lot of positive attention by thais, sometimes to a degree where I am almost embarassered because they so obviously are treated much better than their own kids.

However, my wife claims that if they were to attend an ordinary primary school in LOS with no Luuk Kruengs they could very well have a hard time due to the fact that they are 50/50. Dunno."

My 2 Thai step sons moved here (Norway) at the age of 8 and 11. They didn't come across any racism. They didn't participate in any gangs either, but the eldest one mixed with several who did. He worked as a bouncer at a place I did not like, it was known as a place with trouble between Viets and Thai. 1 week after I warned him there was shooting at that place. Luckily for him he did not work that day.

Later there was a clash again between these gangs, and 1 Thai died.

Its certainly a thing to be careful with, keeping your kids out of environments with bad influence.

I don't have a choice where my 1/2 Viet son will grow up, I can not see myself getting any work in Asia. So it will be Norway.

Cheers!

My stepdaughter (alomost 10 year old) has grown up in the village with her grandmother and aunt (wife's older sister) taking care of her. She is surrounded by a tight, hard working family (some 7 adults and 8 children) all living in a 4 house compound in the village.

Starting this past school year, we have enrolled her in an International School about a 3 hr dirive from the village. She lives at the school and her grandmother and aunt come see her once a month.

The long term plan is for her to finish primary and secondary school in Thailand and go to university in USA.

I think the boarding at the International School is working well, she is surrounded by farang children during day, but most of the other 10 or so boarders and the staff at the dormitory are Thai. She is getting a crash course in farang culture (and English) within a background of Thai.

Of course, the ideal would be for her to live with us and go to school during day, but due to my career, that is impossible at this point. The international schools where we currently live would not benefit her at this point, as they do not have any Thais enrolled or on staff.

So I guess my answer to original question is both. Grow up in Thailand with its strong family and religious ties, accompanied with with lots of exposure to western education and culture. Go to University in the West.

After that, is up to the child to do with it what they want.

TH

>>> I would like to know which country those with Thai kids, 50% or 100% - think its best to grow up in?<<<

We have discussed this many times in our family and for the time being (unless a major lottery win happens) our kids will be raised in the UK.

Although it may or may not be better for them, restricted funds mean that if we stay in the UK then at least their education will be taken to a fair standard.

>>>My own view is that probably the ideal situation is both - to get in touch with both cultures. Of course good environments can be found everywhere, and there are a lot of factors.<<<

Agreed, varying lifestyles and cultures can greatly increase childrens outlook on life.

>>>One point in my own country is racism. With people looking down on Asians comes gang culture, Asian kids getting together and getting involved in bad stuff. The reasoning behind this being that they are looked down upon in society anyway.<<<

I think in England now, although racism still exists, it seems to be mainly aimed at Southern Asians (ie Indians etc), the South East Asian's do not really (IMHO) seem to be suffering from it, except of course for the odd phrase like 'chink' or something similar.

All things considered, our kids will definately be spending their younger years (at least) in england.

Archived