Criminal Liability in Thailand to be raised

Criminal liability to be raised to age 12.

Children under 12 would be exempt from criminal prosecution under a proposed legal amendment which lifts the age limit from SEVEN years.

A seperate change would ban children under 12 from the streets after 10PM unless in the company of thier parents or legal guardians.

Wanchai Rujanawongs,director-general of the Juvenile Observation and Protection Department,said children under 12 caught commiting offences would instead be treated as witnesses,so the criminal masterminds could be brought to justice.

The decision to raise the minimum age was based on local and foriegn research into juvenile crime.

It showed that most young offenders were working under the direction of thier parents and often selling counterfeit CDs or drugs.

They are forced to commit these crimes or be punished Mr Wanchai said.

Under the changes thier parents or guardians would be punished for failing to provide proper care and guidance.

The justice Ministry has proposed the curfew under 12s.

It would empower police and school inspectors to return unaccompanied children to thier homes.

The curfew follows growing concern at reports of an increase in violence amoung teenagers.

The education ministry also proposed stricter control of entertainment spots to prevent children becoming easily involved in the scene.

Strict measures to prevent violence would include patrols of concert venues,frequent inspections of entertainment places near schools and ID checks to keep under 18s out of nightspots.

All very good IMO

What do you guys think of the amendment and the curfew? :dunno:

Hi,

"What do you guys think of the amendment and the curfew?"

The amendment I think is a good thing, but I am not so sure about the curfew. First of all this will be very difficult to enforce and secondly I don't think it is the governments job to tell people when they are allowed in the street or not.

What if sooner or later some guy figures that the age could be increased to 16? 18? 21?

Sanuk!

Says khunsanuk:
Hi,

"What do you guys think of the amendment and the curfew?"

The amendment I think is a good thing, but I am not so sure about the curfew. First of all this will be very difficult to enforce and secondly I don't think it is the governments job to tell people when they are allowed in the street or not.

What if sooner or later some guy figures that the age could be increased to 16? 18? 21?

Sanuk!

[/quote

Yes very difficult to enforce and the police have enough on thier plate without trying to catch children and return them to the homes.

Archived