A Question about Long-Stay Discounts...!

Savittre

The Hotel I stayed at has a weekly rate. I stayed 9 nights. I didn't state, when I arrived, that I wanted the weekly rate. However, I thought that, having stayed more than a week, I should get charged the weekly rate for 7 nights, and daily rate for the last 2 nights.

They charged me daily for all 9 nights, saying that the weekly rate had to be arranged in advance, although there's nothing like this in writing.

I tend to think I've been taken advantage of, but just want to check it out with you guys who may be more knowledgeable than I am. Thanks!!

I stayed at a place once, where I told them I'd stay 1-2 nights (to see if I liked it) I then went and told them I'd stay a week more. They quoated me a much cheaper rate. I asked if the first few nights could also be at the same discounted rate, they had no problem making the adjustment. I think it depends on the place and their policy.

Savvy, you haven't exactly been cheated, they just took advantage of the vagueness of the situation. If you originally booked for less than a week, you really can't claim the weekly rate. At most places that works out to 7 nights for the price of six or 5 1/2. If you booked for a week, you should have asked for the weekly rate then.

Old Hippie's methodology is correct. Conversely, if you book at the weekly rate in advance and stay extra days, you can usually get those days pro-rated [1/7 of the weekly rate].

Having worked in hotels, I can say that the event is standard, common practice and your viewpoint depends on what side of the desk you are on. It is Commerce and they are out to legitimtely increase their revenues but to some the method seems unfair. If you ask kindly, and they say no kindly, then probably just accept that they can enforce it technically and be aware next time. Just like an advance-purchase airfare, early planning with both parties knowing in advance gets rewards & discounts, pay-as-you-go will always cost the premium.

Archived