Visa: Which type for me?

If, supposing, I want to enter Thailand from the US for the intention of working, but haven't secured a job (or referral letter), is it better to

1. Go to a Consulate (one is 45 miles from home) and apply for a multi-entry 60 day tourist visa; (before departing home)

.......OR.......

2. Enter with a basic tourist visa (I guess I do this at Don Muang upon arrival?) Then some time in the next 30 days, use an employer's referral letter for a multi-entry non-immigrant-B type visa? Otherwise, I can simply extend my tourist visa.

Also, I read somewhere that those from the USA, and certain other nations are not required to get a visa if their stay is 30 days or less as a tourist. Is this correct?

Thanks

Loner--

KS brings up a good point... Without and Non-Imm B you're looking at a "out of thailand" trip...

One thought... Have you called, or visited the local Honorary Consualte General in Dallas?? Many times they HCG's are a little less strict with the rules versus the CG and Embassies are... Can't hurt...

According to the Royal Thai Embassy website you've got a HCG right in Dallas..

ROYAL THAI CONSULATE-GENERAL

3232 MCKINNEY AVENUE, SUITE 1400

DALLAS, TX 75204-2429

Tel : (214) 740-1498

Fax : (214) 740-1499

Honorary Consul-General, Mr. W. Forrest Smith

--UPSer

UPSer is right on about hononary cousels. When I got a 60 tourist visa this summer in New Orleans, the lady there was this good natured Southern gal who had never been to Thailand who said, " when you get married, I'll give you a one year marriage visa, no problem." " Just bring me your marriage certiicate and her house registration and you'll have you visa in 5 minutes." I asked about the other requirements, she said , "don't worry about those hon, I'll give you the visa."

Says UPSer:

One thought... Have you called, or visited the local Honorary Consualte General in Dallas?? Many times they HCG's are a little less strict with the rules versus the CG and Embassies are... Can't hurt...

According to the Royal Thai Embassy website you've got a HCG right in Dallas..

Yes, thanks. I'm very near the Honorary Consulate in Dallas. A VERY valuable piece of info that they tend to be less strict. From what I've read on this board, and from Stickman's site, I'll need a letter of intent to hire from a Thai employer before getting the Non-Imm B visa. Hopefully no problem.

Until then, I think I'll go for the 60 day from the Consulate in Dallas.

Thanks EVERYONE for the input.

the other requirements

And my question is 'what other requirements'? All I ever needed for a one year multi entry non immigrant class O visa was a copy of my marriage certificate.

The other requirement are when you want to extend your stay on a yearly basis, but that is only done here in Thailand.

[color:"red"] Also, I read somewhere that those from the USA, and certain other nations are not required to get a visa if their stay is 30 days or less as a tourist. Is this correct?

[/color]

This is correct. If you think 30 days will suffice, no need to bother obtaining the 60 day tourist visa.

You can also extend the 30 days by 15, or simply leave the country and return for another 30 days - a day trip to Singapore can be a pleasant break.

Archived