Dec 5th Holiday - What to Expect?

I have never been in Thailand during early December, but will be this year. What should I expect/know about regarding the King's Birthday? (I admire the King and the many great things he has done for his people, so please don't interpret this question as being in any way disrespectful - I just want to know what to expect)

Are there activities/festivities that I should consider seeing? ( I'm not sure yet whether I will be in Bangkok, Chiang Mai or Phuket)

I have heard most or all nightlife establishments close. Do all bars/clubs/discos close? Are all alcohol sales forbidden, even in restaurants and stores? What other businesses close? Do closings start as of midnight on the eve thereof, and when do places reopen?

Thanks!

I belive this is when HM reviews the troops, unless it' Dec 3rd.

How about the PLOWING CEREMONY? Around these dates too. You may want to log on the TAT site, they have a calendar of events.

Definitely, all places of (farang)entertainment will be closed, and may re-open at midnight when the next day starts. Not sure about this, we will find out soon on this thread, I am sure.

All sanuk areas are closed, same as on dec 10th (Constitution day isn't it?).

Other than that, not much festivity that I encountered sofar on either specific date. However as already mentioned, the TAT website might have more information on activities.

Archived