ADSL is it reliable, cost?

I paning to get the ADSL in Bangkok, is it reliable service?

It seams there is TOT, and Asian Telecom which one is the better choice? The cost is around 7000 to install as they mentioned. please share your experience with broan internet connection. Thx

I have some experience with ADSL in Bangkok. Mostly, the experience has been reasonably positive.

Firstly, something you need to understand one aspect of the way ADSL service works here. You need a supplier of the telephone line (TOT or TA) and also an ISP. You pay them separately.

On the telephone line, Telecom Asia is clearly best. They can install a new line with ADSL in under a week. With TOT, you will wait for months. Be aware, however, that it is possible to be in an area that does not have ADSL support because of distance to the exchange. With an existing line, you can verify in 10 minutes whether ADSL will be possible.

For the ISP, there are a large number of options. If your usage is high, Internet Thailand provides unlimited 128/64 for 3,800 per month (plus the TA charge of about 1,000 baht per month). You can get unlimited 256/128 for 6,800 per month (plus TA charge of about 1,000). There are various deals for 50 to 100 hours per month from different ISPs. They vary a lot in reliability: avoid the very cheapest options here.

In any case, you must also buy an ADSL modem and there will typically be installation charges. Total one time of less than 10,000 baht. No deposits are required.

Hope this helps.

I've still not seen any indiciation broadband in LOS can be either cheap or reliable. So I'm sticking with cheap (250baht/month) and unreliable 56K dialup. The questions you might ask before signing up for anything:

1. what is the up time of the service (eg: 99.9%)? If they have no idea, you should at minimum keep a dialup backup plan.

2. How much is installation? Keep in mind the average thai makes 200 baht per DAY

3. How fast? More importantly, what speed can one reasonably expect to transfer data from sites outside thailand?

4. How much is the modem? How much if you buy one from pantip/tohome instead?

5. How much per month?

6. How many hours a month does the price cover? How much for going over?

7. How much bandwidth does one get per month? How much for going over?

8. How's the ping? Under 100 is good, over 1000 is unusable if you do more than surf & mail.

9. What things are censored or have limited hours (adult sites, gaming, etc)?

10. Does the service periodically "stall" for 10 seconds or so where no packets transfer at all? Every dialup service I have used does this. Makes you a sitting duck if you are gaming :: Would make video conferencing pretty tough too...

I have been using ADSL now for some time, using QNET for the ISP at www.lensodatacom.co.th . It would be hideous to go back to usual dial up.....

Note, whenever you see a ADSL or socalled broadband provider in Thailand talk about 'always on' or something like it, note they don't specify always on to what ? ;) ;) You will have to pay by the hour to actually use the web...... doh.

Qnet has been good, dsl is way more relaible than dial up's, connecting for surfing is quick and painless.

Whenever i tested the speed, the results were pretty much in line with what they should have been.

Main problems were when the main fibre optic undersea cable got knackered, the whole stupid arse CAT situation isn't ideal obviously, but still way way better than a "56"k crap...

coops

> With an existing line, you can verify in 10 minutes whether ADSL will be possible.

In the case, DSL is not available, is there a satellite-option available too (we in Europe have some isp, that offer this service)?

In the case, DSL is not available, is there a satellite-option available too

To the best of my knowledge, the only real options are ADSL, ISDN, cable modem and leased line (and, of course dial up). I consider the ADSL here to be superior to ISDN for a couple of reasons: not least the fact that the line can be shared with a regular phone. Leased line is very expensive in Bangkok. Cable leaves you reliant on UBC: I have spoken to someone with good experience but would be reluctant to try it myself.

Some businesses (in particular the banks) have microwave links to remote locations. This is even more expensive than normal leased lines and very difficult to setup.

A note on something Coops posted:

whenever you see a ADSL or socalled broadband provider in Thailand talk about 'always on' or something like it, note they don't specify always on to what ? You will have to pay by the hour to actually use the web...... doh

That is usually the case: the ADSL connection to the telephone exchange is always active, but you must connect to the ISP and pay for time connected. However, there are a couple of unlimited usage deals around (including the Internet Thailand deal I mentioned in an earlier post)

• 3 weeks later...

I just switched my MWEB (KSC) Unlimited dial up account to M-MAX (KSC) ADSL 128/64. Cost is about 3000 baht per month, for 100 hours.

For this promotion, installation was free. In addition, they threw in the ADSL modem (Router) for free as well. That's a 6,000- 7,000 baht item. Had to sign up for one year in order to get the free modem.

So far, I'm very pleased with the throughput. A big improvement. KSC Service was very good as well.

I'm being careful about switching off the modem if I leave the computer for more than a couple of minutes, as I want to see if I can my usage to less than 100 hours per month.

I still have a backup account with INet, so I suppose if I want to save money and go over my 100 hour limit, I could start using Inet when I hit 100 hours on the ADSL line.

Sounds like a reasonable solution for Bkk. I'd have a difficult time adjusting to the 100 hrs after unlimited 24/7 usage here in Canada. :banghead:

Couple of questions though, What is the rate for usage over the 100 hrs ?

What do you get for a d/l speed? Currently mine is about 254 kBs or about 15+ MB a minute.

Archived