ADSL is it reliable, cost?

I'm confused about the kind of service you have -- typically DSL service that is not truly "always on" uses a dialup-over-ethernet arrangement, wherein DSL provides the physical connectivity but then you must still manually make a connection to put yourself on the net. The former is "always on" and the latter is what they measure in terms of time-based usage.

But you mention turning off your modem, are you saying that the service in Thailand involves them actually measuring the time your modem is on and synced to the DSL signal? That would be bass-ackwards but then again nothing in Thailand surprises me any more.

From my apt in BKK I regularly get 52k over dial-up with LoxInfo. Has anyone done a direct speed comparison between that and 128k dsl service? I'd be curious to see what kind of speeds we're really talking about.

Of course, none of this compares to my dsl line at home, always on, 2 static IP addresses, regular sustained speeds of over 1200kbps, for the equivalent of around 3000 baht per month total.

Just heard from a friend that TA intend this monthish to try to spread the DSL word in Bangkok. Apparently the monthly fee will be 500B. This will be the monthly fee then ISP charge on top i would imagine..... however the monthly starting fee is roughly half the usual at the moment.

Wait and see...

this may be one reason why Qnet at

www.lensodatacom.co.th

have reduced their latest 'promotion' fees.... for instance a 128/64 connection for 50 hours is now 1000B, down from 1250B. The 70 hour pacgages also work out to the same 20B/hour..... Also buy 6 get one free.

coops

As you say, TA seems to be starting a major ADSL push. They have a Thai language page ADSL for home that provide some hints on where they are going. Some highlights:

* Self setup (no high cost initial installation charge)

* Inexpensive (2000 baht) USB modem

* Combined TA + ISP package (in the past, you had needed to deal separately with the line provider and ISP)

Some time this week, I plan to find out the details on what is happening. Looks like good news, but I am not sure yet how good.

I don't know all of the tech details as they haven't been provided to me.

But it's supposedly ADSL, PPOeP(? ).

The vendor said that as long as the modem is on, it is considered to be online and count towards the 100 hours.

The modem they gave me (Zyxel Prestige 650R-31), has several lights, including one that says DSL and another that's PPOep(?). When I turn the modem on, it takes 30 seconds or so and then the 'DSL' light comes on. The PPOeP(?) light goes on when data are being transferred.

I'm confused about the kind of service you have -- typically DSL service that is not truly "always on" uses a dialup-over-ethernet

The situation here is normal: PPPoE. But because a connection takes only about one second, appropriate setup can approximate an always on connection. You can set things up for dial on demand and disconnect after a couple of minutes idle.

Has anyone done a direct speed comparison between that and 128k dsl service?

Using CS-Loxinfo, the speed of ADSL 128/64 seems to be about three times typical dialup. ADSL 256/128 seems to be five to six times faster. This is scarcely what people would expect from broadband in Korea or Japan, but it is much better than dialup.

Yes, certainly not what I've been spoiled by. I often d/l 200 MB files, so I would miss the speed. Now mind you I have done this with 33KB dial-up as well. :banghead: :banghead:

How does one say DAYS to d/l. :banghead: :banghead:

Archived