Ever been Chased By A Storm In Thailand?

Torneyboy

Have you ever been in Thailand and a storm (a big one lightning thunder etc) is following you..or you may get caught in it?

My very first trip to Thailand one of our inspections was of the hotels on Phi Phi island.

Our fearless leader (a twenty year old girl from Royal Orchid holidays ) ::

She suggested we ..4 of us anyway..lets get a longtail and go around the Island.

Ok great lets go..500 thb later 3ish off we went ..stopped a few times at (hotel beaches) for ice creams etc..all the way around to ""princess beach"" on the way back to the travelodge(Parkroyal) hotel a storm rolled in .

The sky went blackish green with lightning and all hell broke out.

It was following us from the south and getting darker and we were getting worried (the girls)!

Our boatman kept looking back (not a good sign) for us!! ::

We hit the beach at the hotel running..well we helped a littel to pull the boat onto the sand..and ran like the wind.

Made it by a whisker..a very violent storm and if we were caught at ""sea"" we could have been in danger a very scary experience at the time.

Next day a few of the very white skinned falang B***s complained of lice in the water and asked to go home :doah:

Ever been Chased By A Storm In Thailand..........

Yes, in the morning many years ago, when the then flavor of the day demanded more money and I refused ..... :)

But, yes, last december in Krabi, a bad storm caught us on the way back on our bike....... we were drenched in matter of seconds before being able to stop and hid under a tree :( luckily we had (dry) towels with us !

Cheers !

Says BelgianBoy:

Ever been Chased By A Storm In Thailand..........

Yes, in the morning many years ago, when the then flavor of the day demanded more money and I refused .....
:)

But, yes, last december in Krabi, a bad storm caught us on the way back on our bike....... we were drenched in matter of seconds before being able to stop and hid under a tree
:(
luckily we had (dry) towels with us !

Cheers !

No way we would have set off if a storm was on the way...beautifull afternoon.

Came from nowhere and violent lightning.

You hideing under a tree could have been dangerous as well.

BTW did the hotel get thier towels back ::

Says jp1:

Not been chased by a storm in Thailand but today, all day long, by a typhoon over Central Japan. Gale force winds and massive downpours. What a terrible weekend.

I dont mind rain for a while anyway..but massive downpours are another thing.

Well snuggle up with a good book and a good wine :angel:

torneyboy,

Yeah. Driving in Isaan. Had a massive thunderstorm following us down the highway. It kept gaining on us as we drove toward the village, and finally caught up to us. I've never in my life, well once on Plum Island maybe, seen such lightning and thunder. Had a bolt of lightning strike a gravel driveway of the house of a farang who lives near us as we were passing his home. The lightning struck the ground not ten feet from our pick-up. Damned near blinded me. I was seeing afterimages for an hour after imprinted on my retinas. Next day as I drove past the farang's house you could see a large white patch on his driveway where the lightening had fused the sand and crushed gravel where it had struck the ground. Damned glad it didn't hit us! Closest I've come to being struck. Even with the insulation factor of the four rubber tires we were riding on I don't think I'd want to test the "theory" that a rubber tired vehicle is one of the safe places to be. Also saw a tree get struck in the middle of a rice field a couple months ago.

You were very lucky to have gotten ashore and inside. Don't think I'd want to be asea in a small longboat during one of these violent storms, that's for sure!

And hey, Belgian Boy, didn't you ever hear that the worst place to stand during a lightning storm is under a goddamned tree? :-)

Cent

Archived