Pattaya Promotion.

Torneyboy

I think half the rap Pattaya gets is because foolish travel agents market the place as a family destination

-----------------------

OK, and really on topic this time:

You guys assume that families are just starting to discover Pattaya. If you have been visiting the city for the past 10 years, you can't but see this side of the resort has been promoted already and family have come by the droves. Major LOS destinations for tourists do need promotion, because tourism has been down hurfully (SARS, IRAK...), and other countries are also agressively promoting themselves during that vacuum.

mum's jaw hits the ground

--------------------------------------

So far, IME, only BKK sanookers and southern Island visitors have expressed dismay at Pattaya. The number of families going to Pattaya being up since 1990, I think Mom has long kept her jaws up the ground. Esp. exiting the Marriott ::.... Some may mind the scene, and some don't. Just like on this board.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys assume that families are just starting to discover Pattaya. If you have been visiting the city for the past 10 years, you can't but see this side of the resort has been promoted already and family have come by the droves.

P127, in 15 years of visits I've never had the pleasure to see the true soul of the city by partying with LIKAY actors at the patriarch's funeral 25 kms south of Walking Street.

As much as I enjoy Pattaya for what it is, a paradise for sanuk, golf, etc., one thing it will never be is a family destination. They can promote it all they want, but it just ain't gonna win over your AVERAGE Western family.

I can just imagine it:

"Say honey, where shall we take the kids this year? Maui? The Riviera? The Caribbean? The Great Barrier Reef? Oh hang on, how about Pattaya?"

Yeah right.

I think when most of us refer to Pattaya we mean somewhere within a 5-10 km radius of Walking Street, not some distant fishing village filled with sarong-wearing falang seeking spiritual enlightenment.

As for mom keeping her jaws up the ground while taking in the "sights" of Walking Street, it takes all sorts, but hardly normal behavior for most families.

look around you. Plenty of tours, full of middle age farang (-set, usually) couples, or any age chinese, japanese. Not difficult to see families with kids too. I know of a few couples from France, one with a 10 yo daughter who go to Thailand every other year, Pattaya in one of their stops in LOS.

Sorry, but it's 2003, a lot of people understand what's going on, don't bat an eye, but enjoy the titillation and crazy rythm/noise strolling a bit at night before beddy time.

It's just vacation after all, and the atmosphere is of easy-goingness, with so much to see and tell when you come back and show the video or pix taken ("see, this beautiful woman...It's a boy!!! ahahha...").

I think when most of us refer to Pattaya we mean somewhere within a 5-10 km radius

--------------------

That's plenty to enjoy other than the nightlife, but in all fairness, if people say BKK is not just Suk and NEP-like grounds, Phuket, Chiang Mai or Koh Samui or Hua hin are cool spots, I am sure they mean the possibility of wandering half a day away from the bars and discos of these places. I know they mean not being stuck in one street or one beach, and their experience covers a whole city (BKK) or island or region.

PS: sarong-wearing? Where did you get this? ::

look around you. Plenty of tours, full of middle age farang (-set, usually) couples, or any age chinese, japanese. Sorry, but it's 2003, a lot of people understand what's going on, don't bat an eye, but enjoy the titillation and crazy rythm/noise strolling a bit at night before beddy time.

P127, still laughing here. :: :: ::

And just before little Johnny's beddy time, his drunk parents take him to the tattoo shop and for his 11th birthday get his shoulder stamped with "Pattaya pussy rules!" :up: :up:

Yes plenty of tours,

Busloads of men from Taiwan, China and Korea. Not many from Japan. Also seen what looked like a honeymooners tour from China or Taiwan. Young couples walking through Soi Pattayaland 2 with the "WTF is this place" look. Occasionally see the middle-aged couple tour and always get the feeling the travel agent in Moscow better get out of town before Olga gets back!

Yes there are families in Pattaya, some even drag their kids to the shows, but they hardly fit the model of your typical family.

'nuff said.

Says Roppongi:

TB, a few thoughts here.

I think half the rap Pattaya gets is because foolish travel agents market the place as a family destination, which it is not. So when the Jones family steps out of the Marriot in the middle of Pattaya, mum's jaw hits the ground and poor dad, apart from getting prick-teased to death, receives no end of grief because he chose Pattaya.

Look at Phuket and the 5-star resort hotels are far enough away from the scene but close enough for dad to escape for some sanuk on the way back from golf, diving, the business meeting etc, etc.

It's probably too late to change the image of Jomtien and it's bog of a beach, but it could have been ideal as Pattaya's little "Laguna."

""foolish travel agents market the place as a family destination"" :doah:

I/we don''t market Pattaya or any destination .

The wholesalers send out big/bright/& Beautifull posters for our windows...usually shot in a resort with ""the family""splashing around in the pools having a wonderfull time...

Then look at the brochures...great photos of rooms/pool/food..shots of the hotel pool with an overlay of the ocean(not the beach as such..we know why).

They look great...OZ families are brought up with sun/sand and beaches.

Flick through any Thailand brouchure and you will see what i mean.

The family chooses the destination..I/we make all the arrangements for them.

I can''t say ....um look Sir/Madam..i would suggest you go elsewhere this place is alive with hookers.

Yes Phuket has the Laguna but also many hotels close to the "action".

And as above same situation placed in front of us agents..beach sun sand and beauty.

No offence taken RE foolish agents BTW :p

The 'foolish agents' remark wasn't addressed at you TB. But I'm sure you know the type I mean. "Yes sir, the room has ocean views, the beach is one of the finest in Asia, there's rows of top resturants across the road... etc etc , all for only $19.95 a night."

Don't clients ask you which resort you recommend as they all look the same? It least in Oz most people are worldly enough or know someone who's gone to Thailand so they get the scoop. Not always the case in other parts of the world.

Says Roppongi:

The 'foolish agents' remark wasn't addressed at you TB. But I'm sure you know the type I mean. "Yes sir, the room has ocean views, the beach is one of the finest in Asia, there's rows of top resturants across the road... etc etc , all for only $19.95 a night."

Don't clients ask you which resort you recommend as they all look the same? It least in Oz most people are worldly enough or know someone who's gone to Thailand so they get the scoop. Not always the case in other parts of the world.

Yes i know the type..anything to get a ""sale"".

The clients will come in with a brochure already...we like hotel #3 it is very close to the beach...tell us about it and #7...#8 etc.

Some have had a friend visit Thailand but maybe not Pattaya.

And belive it or not i have known many holiday makers that will not step foot outside the ""resort""...and have seen Pattaya/BKK Phuket and so on.

We recommend according to our affiliation to a hotel/wholesaler...and um um commission.

We will cost say three hotels and transfers/air/taxes and give them the options.

Still many just say get us close to the beach/shopping..i choose the three hotels/resorts and they look at the bottom line in most cases.

I dont get all bubbly over PTy bookings as is not a favorite..but Phuket/Krabi/hua Hin etc i rave on and on and get a cheque on the spot...product knowledge the key in selling.

Myself, i would not recommend Pattaya to a family, would describe the place and tell them if they want peace and quiet, there are better spots. BTW, Pattaya is also popular because it is really cheap as far as hotels and food. I remember being in PHuket in 1990, and any decent hotel was 50$, and my GF who went ther this year also said the food is at least double restaurant prices in Pattaya/Jomtien. Add the price of going there, even Hua Hin is a bit far to haul kids, unless that's the main reason to go to Thailand, and the stay is over a week. Whatever its bad points, Pattaya has a lot of good ones, for these practicalities.

Says pattaya127:

Myself, i would not recommend Pattaya to a family, would describe the place and tell them if they want peace and quiet, there are better spots. BTW, Pattaya is also popular because it is really cheap as far as hotels and food. I remember being in PHuket in 1990, and any decent hotel was 50$, and my GF who went ther this year also said the food is at least double restaurant prices in Pattaya/Jomtien. Add the price of going there, even Hua Hin is a bit far to haul kids, unless that's the main reason to go to Thailand, and the stay is over a week. Whatever its bad points, Pattaya has a lot of good ones, for these practicalities.

Yes they tend to stay one or two weeks ..depends on the school holidays.

They also have a budget..but it is there (for most) once a year getaway so cost may not be a factor.

Food costs..i dont go into it A..i only have my choices to go by B in Pattaya everything was paid by TATS so i really didnt notice the cost as i do in BKK.

The distance is not a problem really as they look at the flights and under 9 hours...short haul.

Archived