Aussies - Are you ashamed of QANTAS???

MooNoi

Says torneyboy:

Hi FLy,

Two mishaps in the last couple of weeks.

One in Cairns i think had to turn back after one engine died due to a bird.

And same thing out of BNE.

Not mechanical but still problem for the passengers.

TB,

Bird hits happen sometimes during take-off or landing. This can cause damage to the jet turbines but only very seldom results in fatalities.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

jp1

Yes..was just letting FLY know that QF has a few problems of late.

This to add to the for sure and certain union backlash to the no frills airline they are going to start up...and the job cuts they have made as well.

We are in for a torrid time over next 3 months i fear.

Bird hits happen sometimes during take-off or landing. This can cause damage to the jet turbines but only very seldom results in fatalities.

Hate to disagree with you jp1, but the bird seldom survives. :cover:

In the past I have generally used Qantas to fly from Melbourne to Bangkok. I figured that I might as well get the benefits of their Frequent Flyer program and I have a ticket sitting in the drawer for November which will be my third free points ticket.

As it stands now I will be using other arlines because Qantas are now $200 dollars dearer than Singpaore or Malaysian airlines. Who wants free points when the initial tickets are more expensive than its competitors?

My plan is to take the best offer around the time I want to fly.

Flying Singapore Airlines to Bangkok from Melbourne is still slightly quicker than flying Qantas. Even though Qantas stops in Sydney and Sing stops in Singapore, Singapore Airlines still takes 30 minutes less to get to Bangkok.

To be honest, a lot of this is due to sheer good luck in my opinion...

Remember that the Australian skies are practically EMPTY compared to Europe or the USA, and there's not much traffic to get in trouble with up there!

Most disasters aren't mid-air collisions but accidents during the take-off and landing phase. Even in the overcrowded skies of Europe, North America and East Asia mid-air collisions are the absolute exemption.

Hey Guys,

Remember the Olympics 2000?

Sydney Airport was ""The""busiest in the world ...for a few days...went like clockwork..no problems no near misses (that we know of)...QF had heaps of aircraft going everywhich way

And good ""OLD"" Ansett the official Olympic carrier was up there as well. :up:

Archived