How not to travel to Pattaya

Hi!

If you don't have an awful lot of luggage the bus from Ekemai is a good alternative. I will normally be nearly as fast as a taxi. Of course I'm a rather small bloke and can sit comfortably in the bus. If you're 6'5" and weigh 120 kilos it would be different. :D

regards

ALHOLK

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Jacko, I did mean a nice car not one of the charabangs which regularly pass for taxis in BKK.

As for "Please do not use that then Bt 1500 is not really a "lot" is it, only USD 35. , there is life outside the USA you know!" - I'm not in the USA - never have been (Japan, Hong Kong, now perhaps UK) but really, if you come on holiday, after flying half way round the world and you're here to party, then USD 35 or GBP 22 really isn't a lot of money for a nice peaceful air-conditioned trip to the beach.

Yes its expensive compared to some things in LOS but the girls get their bodies free whilst the poor bugger driving us has to buy the car (or rent etc.), service it and put gas in it to get our lazy arses from BKK to PTY.

The bus is there for those who want it - just reminds me of the shitty backpackers on Koh Phi Phi who come for months with enough money for a couple of weeks.

Sorry if you don't agree but perhaps those who think that GBP 22 is too much for a 2 hour trip should stay at home or come for less time. Pity the girls they manage to hook up with.

[color:"red"] Sorry if you don't agree but perhaps those who think that GBP 22 is too much for a 2 hour trip should stay at home or come for less time. Pity the girls they manage to hook up with. [/color]

I guess I just can't leave my poor origins behind.

I used a limo last time as I was accompanied and in a bit of a rush. It's a good deal for a couple of people. As for those who think the limo is too much, suggesting that they stay at home seems harsh as they have as much right as anyone to come to Thailand. And they might well be good company for the girls. Not everyone who decides they have plenty of time to take a 90 baht bus rather than spend 1500 on a limo is necessarily mean with the girls.

I always put myself on a bit of a budget when in LOS, and anything I save on transport will go on Sanuk :beer:

Now if you would like to discuss keeping the lager louts and yobs out, you have my vote.

Jacko, I hear where you're coming from. Maybe I was being too harsh.

Just being in Pattaya and Bangkok during the bad times (Gulf War just finished, SARS etc.) I found some of the guy's attitudes real shit.

To give you an example. Three of us were touring Soi 8 in Pattaya and drop in a bar where we are met with a tremendous reception; massages, towels, company etc. So 2 of us get some LDs for the 2 girls we had each and the other guy, not a friend and certainly not now (another story) started to try and argue why were the beers Bt 75 but the LDs were Bt 100. He then tried to negotiate upwards in Bt 5 increments from Bt 50 !!!

Suitably embarassed (he was fucking serious) I put all the checks in one bin and got the girls drinks. Stayed a while, went back and partied with some of the girls.

It was just he and others we came across which pissed me, my mate and other good guys off. Nothing wrong with a budget, I have one, I think everyone does.

Personally, I agree to keep the scum out (do they have to wear football shirts every day ?) but also, and from my personal experience as well, I would rather have 10 good days rather than 14 tight ones or even 21 really thin days. Maybe some are different, but I also heard stories of guys (this ex acquaintance included) who sorted out a fee on the night then paid less, citing the poor economic conditions and bragging about it in the bar the next day.

Not lager louts but scum nevertheless.

Says wsvinja:

The only confusing thing was the seat numbering: the seat number is on the ticket, and they have a big number painted on the back of each seat. However, that is
not
the seat number for the person who faces it, but the number of the seat on which it is painted.
:rolleyes:

Not on all routes! Some of them have the seats A1 to D1 on the front row from the passengers side to the drivers side and it goes A2, B2 etc in the 2nd row all the way to the back.

I think the Ban Phe buses are like that & maybe the Aranyapratet ones as well.

As the for the 100B taxi. Just get the songthaew down to the Dolphin roundabout and change for one going up to the bus station. 10B no problem.

Well Soi 8 area does have a few low life-form customers, (perhaps in football shirts). Maybe he had just had 10 good days and was killing the remaining few off until his flight was due.

I am old enough to recall the days where LDs were not found in beer bars. You bought a girl a real drink at regular prices ( as opposed to pink sugar water or a spash of coke over 2 ice cubes) - and she got a bit of commission off that.

That has always given me a twinge of annoyance at being hit for 100 baht for lolly water at a beer bar myself.

I have also had girls agree to a fee and tried to ask for more the next day!!! Anyhow it sounds like your 3rd companion would qualify for the title of balloon chaser! :beer:

I didn't know LOS before LDs were invented but I seem to remember them being less or the same as a regular drink. Even just a couple of years ago, on Lamai beach beer bars on Samui, the girls would take a beer as their choice of tipple or tall mixer and we would pay the same as for our drinks. Pisses me off when its lolly water as it is effectively, just doubling the price of your beer.

Personally, I think the whole thing sucks, from bar fines, LDs to ST versus LT. But thats the way it is and you pay to play or don't play at all. Of course, you could wait till the bars close, which is a better option now that its 2am but you don't know what will be left on the shelf.

Maybe I've been lucky but I've never had a girl try to screw more money out of me in the morning. In fact, I have had a couple refuse a tip, one refusing completely and another said no pay as we had a good meal and a few drinks after.

Years ago, I would have let it ride if a girl tried it on but now I think I would go talk to the mamasan. My mind changed after going for a soapy in Pattaya (usually 1500 all in). Papasan took only 600 (the girl gets 900 anyway) but after bath and body massage, the girl says what do I want and how much will I pay. What the fuck ! Stupidly, and with a boner on, we sorted something out. I should have got dressed and gone straight to the papasan and sorted it out. Will never happen again.

[color:"red"] Maybe I've been lucky but I've never had a girl try to screw more money out of me in the morning [/color]

[color:"red"] My mind changed after going for a soapy in Pattaya (usually 1500 all in). Papasan took only 600 (the girl gets 900 anyway) but after bath and body massage, the girl says what do I want and how much will I pay. [/color]

I would say this constitutes an attempt to squeeze you for a bit more money - I interpret the above to say you paid up 1500 and the girl tried it on, (but if you only paid 600 to papasan, well that would be standard modus operandi)

Yes Thailand has it's methodology that you need to become acquainted with and board discussions ensure you are suitably educated. I can only say that LOS still remains on top of my list as a place for P4P. regards-- :beer:

Not addressed to anyone in particular, just adding my 2 satangs.

The last trip I made to Pattaya, I took the public bus from the airport to Ekami Bus station for 100 Bht. That bus was almost empty and quite pleasant. Trip took about 40 minutes. Then the bus from Ekami to Pattaya for 73 or so bht which makes a lot of stops (at the time I didn't know there was an express bus for 90 bht). They put my luggage in a compartment beneath where the passengers ride. After a few stops, the bus eventually filled up and got crowded and it took about 3.5 hours to get to Pattaya. One side benefit was the cute TG sitting next to me who thought nothing of falling asleep on my shoulder even though we didn't know each other. The bus driver let me off at Pattaya Tai Rd at my request. Then two 10 bht songtiaw rides got me to my hotel. All in all, a pretty good deal I would say. I wouldn't mind sharing a taxi but when traveling alone I think next time I'll try to get that express bus.

Re the mini bus: Taking the mini bus from Pattaya to the airport isn't as bad as taking one from downtown Bangkok to Pattaya.

The "public bus" from the airport being the Airport bus A3...

A chance to meet some different people on the 73 baht bus...

Not that there is no opportunity on the 90 baht air con bus.

Archived