How not to travel to Pattaya

During my latest stay in Bangkok I spent the weekend in Pattaya. I felt hiring a taxi for a single person was too expensive and thought that a minibus ride would be a reasonable compromise. Big mistake. :banghead:

I was lazy and booked the minibus ride through the hotel. They of course have their own markup, but I thought 400 baht was not too bad for a door-to-door ride and the convenience of not having to rush out to Suk to find a travel agent when I was already busy otherwise.

Unfortunately I had to book the ride for the afternoon, since I was busy in the morning. The consequence was that the minibus was crawling around the Bankok downtown in the Friday afternoon gridlock collecting passengers. :( The minibus was late over 30 minutes from my scheduled departure time and we finally were leaving Bangkok two and half hours later. Then there was a stop in the travel agency Pattaya office. I was finally in my hotel in Pattaya at 8pm - 5.5 hours after my scheduled departure! :banghead:

Since I had only one rather small bag I decided to try the express bus when I returned to Bangkok. That worked very well: buses depart every half an hour (on the hour and half past) and the ticket to Ekamai bus station is only 90 baht. The only confusing thing was the seat numbering: the seat number is on the ticket, and they have a big number painted on the back of each seat. However, that is not the seat number for the person who faces it, but the number of the seat on which it is painted. :rolleyes:

The bus stops also on request before Ekamai, e.g. at the On Nut BTS station. I jumped off there and took the Skytrain to Nana, since I thougth that it would be silly to be stuck in a traffic jam at the very last moment. The trip from Pattaya bus station station took 2.25 hours and cost less than 230 baht. The only glitch was the rip-off taxi ride from hotel to Pattaya: 100 baht. I'm sure you can negotiate a better rate if you try a little bit.

Next time I will visit Pattaya on my own with 'cabin luggage only', I'm sure to take the bus. Taking the Skytrain to Ekkamai should sidestep the worst Bangkok gridlocks. The ride itself is very cheap and the speed should be comparable to a minibus ride, when you factor in the extra stops that minibuses make. However, if you travel in a small group, hiring a taxi is probably a more convenient and reasonably cost-effective option.

Wagner

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ride itself is very cheap and the speed should be comparable to a minibus ride, when you factor in the extra stops that minibuses make.

The airco busses drive like maniacs. Pure traveltime is not much less than going by taxi. Much faster than minibus and more comfortable too... and that for a fraction of the price lol.. I have done it many times and the only problems one could face would be getting onto the high way from Ekkamai (or v.v.).

Fare from Pattaya Bus Station into Pattaya is 20 Baht.

Going to the Bus Station is a hit and miss affair.

Last time I paid I think 60 Baht in an empty bus thinking would be brought to the Bus without picking up anyone - No thats not what happened. Other people were allowed on with me even though I 'booked' it.

Anyway I have anothe ridea if you need to save a few Baht.

Take a bus to the round about which should be 10 Baht. Walk around the corner onto the same road as the Bus Station for the Bangkok buanother Baht bus and get another Baht bus for 10 Baht.

I know --- too much trouble --- but it is one way to sort the Baht bus drivers out.

:o Yeah, me too !

I'd ask where else one would put it, but I hear the debate raging already. :banghead:

So yes. that is your seat, we put number on back because boss no like we write on seat cover. :p

I did the lazy way also last time, definately the last time to Pattaya. The lying woman at the travel agent in the tai pan assured me the mini van went straight off after this pick up as it would be the last one, she also charged 450 baht.

When it set off we ended up at Pratunam waiting over an hour for the backpackers to arrive. They paid less if they were prepared to for go the hotel pickup and go from the office,great. I was wedged next to a australian kid know it all who kept going on and on about how expensive everything was compared to indonesia, pancakes especially it seems were a rip off in Bangkok.

I think it's just about worth getting the van to Hua Hin as the southern bus terminal can be a bit difficult to get to. Went there once and the taxi driver asked us to get out a third of the way there, refused payment though.

Yes don't you just love those friendly baht bus drivers in Pattaya, bus to Bkk 90 baht, kilometer from hotel 100-peter

Says Palatkik:

>is not the seat number for the person who faces it, but the number of the seat on which it is painted

I must have been here too long as this makes sense to me!

Hmmn. Just to back up old Wsvinja, the perplexing "number on back of seat it refers to" gag foxed me on the Pattaya-BKK bus-run too and I made a right royal tit of myself by parking my arse in the wrong trap in consequence. :o However, the fact that I'd had about 10 heinekens :drunk: plus the bird in the chair next to the one I mistakenly plumped for was a drop-dead gorgeous GTG stunner (whereas the one riding shotgun next to my rightful throne was a putrid lardy-arsed dreadlocked white Aussie farang backpaker :doah:) quite possibly played some part in my erroneous seat selection.

The fat bird checking the tickets soon shifted me... :(

jack :beer:

Get a taxi - Bt 1500 including tollway etc.

Sure a "lot" more than the bus / minivan but not comparable for comfort, time, ease, flexibility etc.

The main gripes about other forms of transport seem to be about time. If time is so important, then Bt 1500 is not really a "lot" is it, only USD 35.

[color:"red"] Get a taxi - Bt 1500 including tollway etc [/color]

You probably meant a limo, for that price that is what you get, nice modern and large comfortable car.

A taxi should cost around 800-900, not including tollway costs.

Please do not use that [color:"red"]then Bt 1500 is not really a "lot" is it, only USD 35. [/color] , there is life outside the USA you know! :banghead:

Archived