Brief review of Regency Park on Suk Soi 22

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thai residents or Thai nationality I thought this was only a deal for Thai nationals?? If not I'll ask my tilac to try and book at this rate for next month.

Uniformguy

Jacko,

I'm really interested in this. I am waiting for a reply from Marriot re discrimination on this very point. I will report later when I get their response.

In good hotels, one person books the room and pays. If there is a second person, that does not matter. Therefore, a Thai, with a credit card should be able to book a room and bring with them whoever they wish.

I cannot see how say, the JW could back out of such an agreement after check in.

>the hotel has the advantage of having two smallish pool bars (with obviously barfinable girls) on the ground floor. Both of them can be entered from the hotel without being exposed to the elements.<

Both of them can be entered?? What, the bars or the girls??

Sorry, couldn't resist

I am afraid my tilac did not have a credit card, and I am only re-iterating what I was told by a very pleasant and English fluent hotel booking agent.

[color:"red"] I cannot see how say, the JW could back out of such an agreement after check in. [/color]

I can only say TIT and anything is possible, please let the board and myself know how you get on.

• 1 year later...

I am in the Regency Park hotel right now. For the past 8 months I've been living in this hotel. I arrived here in mid-2004, and liked the hotel and the neighborhood so much, that I've stayed on.

Overall, the Regency Park is an excellent value for the money: clean and safe, quietly elegant, ideal location, and quite good service.

The rooms are large, clean and well maintained. The only difference between the standard and the deluxe rooms (that I can figure out) is the floor - and therefore the view. The first and second floors look out onto walls or sides of other buildings. Floors 3-5 have pleasant views.

Beware: There is major construction just starting on the entire North side of the hotel. Looks like construction will continue throughout all of 2005. In Thailand, construction often goes on into the late night hours (cooler then). If your room is on the North side, do not expect either an attractive view or much peace and quiet.

The included breakfast is ample and delicious. Chef on hand to cook eggs and omlettes to your order, along with bacon and pancakes. That's in addition to seven other hot dishes every morning, plus a wide assortment of fruit, salads, breads, pastries - all you can eat from 0630 until 1100. Yes, fresh squeezed orange juice is 117 baht extra.

Location is excellent for many purposes. Washington Square and Queen's Park Plaza bars and their attractions are literally just a few steps away from the front entrance. As mentioned earlier on this thread, there are two tempting bars right at the front entrance. The hotel is an easy 10 minute walk to the Skytrain station at Phrom Pong. There is a Western grocery market next to the Skytrain station - open 24 hours: Villa Market. There are countless restaurants of many flavors within a few minutes walk, and even more within a 40 baht taxi ride.

Not everything is perfect: The "fitness center" is worthless. Most of the equipment is old and neglected. The swimming pool is clean, but only the size of a king bed - consider it only a kiddie pool. Across the street there is a superb fitness center and swimming pool at the Imperial Queen's Park hotel. The daily fee there is 400 baht and monthly membership is available.

At Regency Park guests (working girls joining you in your room for the night) are welcomed with quiet politeness. Never any problem. There can be a joiner fee - but it is selectively enforced and depends on factors which are not clear to me. The security guards check some sort of list. When I first arrived, and was paying for my room on a nightly basis, the joiner fee was 600 baht. I paid and smiled. After I decided to stay long term, getting that joiner fee waived was part of my negotiation for a monthly rate. The front desk manager agreed to waive the joiner fee with no resistance. You may inquire about the joiner fee before you arrive. Responses to my fax and email messages before I arrived were quick and helpful.

For anyone travelling with wife or family, I think you wouldn't be comfortable here: too many reminders wherever you look of temptations easily available. But for single man wanting a very comfortable hotel at a modest rate, I highly recommend the Regency Park.

. [color:"brown"] [/color]

Archived