Brief review of Regency Park on Suk Soi 22

On my latest trip in August 2003 I stayed three nights in Regency Park Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 22. It was my first visit and I was pretty happy, but extending my stay would have been too complicated.

The hotel is on the right hand side when you come down the soi from Sukhumvit Road, practically directly opposite to the entrance to Washington Square. It is not an unreasonable walk to the Phrom Phong BTS station or Soi Cowboy. However, during rush hour the traffic flow towards Sukhumvit Road tends to be very congested and catching a taxi at the hotel is not a brilliant idea. I think the closest international ATM is some 200 metres away in front of the Imperial Queen's Park hotel.

I got the rate of 1050baht/night for a Superior double room from SAWASDEE.COM. The rate includes American breakfast for two. The payment worked quite OK, except that you in practise have to prepay for the whole stay - that is why I took only three nights. The procedure is also a bit clumsy: first you have to pay for the first night as a non-refundable deposit and you can pay the rest only after receiving a confirmation. The remaing amount was also in practise not refundable, since I was making the booking only three weeks before my planned arrival. I did not find these conditions too draconian, since I knew I was going to stay there those three nights. I have yet to see my credit card bill, so I don't know if there were any glitches.

Checking in was smooth enough. The only glitch was a big rat that almost landed on my head! I have no idea where it came from, but it missed only by two feet and scampered across the lobby without anybody stopping it. I chose to ignore this as yet another case of TIT. They upgraded me to a Deluxe room as a compensation for the shock and horror, though. ;)

I'm not quite sure of their quest-friendliness, since they were urging me to have the 2nd occupant of the double room to register at the reception as soon as she arrived. Come evening, they set up a desk with a guard in front of the elevators. I have no idea if he is there just to collect IDs or actually to keep undesireables away.

They have quite a number of Japanese customers and there is a Japanese restaurant in the lobby. The American breakfast includes also Japanese components and Thai food as part of the quite extensive buffet. It is served on the 3rd floor in a quite nice 'garden atrium' setting. I found it pretty good. They even change some of the warm courses from day to day, so it should not become totally boring even over a longer stay. The coffee was not that good, but drinkable. The orange juice was also not the real stuff. They were actually advertising the possibility of getting real, freshly squeezed orange juice for 100++ baht with the slogan "Have a squeeze in the morning?". I found that very honest and a bit humorous - that price for a single glass of juice is a bit of extortion... Newspapers, including Bangkok Post and The Nation, are available for reading during the breakfast.

The room was quite nice, clean and spacious. Quite good queen (or king?) size bed and a desk with a chair. In the reception they claimed that the only difference between Superior and Deluxe rooms was size, so I suspect that a Superior room would have lacked the desk. I think I would have been quite happy even in a Superior. The TV had quite a good choice channels. The minibar was quite expensive.

I think I would have stayed more days, but I was too busy to book additional days through SAWASDEE.COM in time. If I had tried to extend my stay directly from the hotel, I would have had to pay 2200 baht/night, which I considered a bit too much for my budget. I did not feel like wrangling with them, but just packed my bags and moved to my usual haunt on Soi 8 (Royal Asia). It is not as nice, but very flexible and the room rate is even cheaper, albeit without breakfast. Kind of silly, since they hardly were anywhere close to full, but obviously it is better not to get any revenue rather than appear to be cheap...

I think the deal from SAWASDEE.COM is really good value, if you know in advance how long you will stay, and especially if you are not traveling alone.

When the rainy season comes, the hotel has the advantage of having two smallish pool bars (with obviously barfinable girls) on the ground floor. Both of them can be entered from the hotel without being exposed to the elements.

Wagner

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:applause: Excellent revue.

Just a small point of confusion in what's left of my addled mind.

When the rainy season comes, the hotel has the advantage of having two smallish pool bars (with obviously barfinable girls) on the ground floor. Both of them can be entered from the hotel without being exposed to the elements.

Are you refering to the Regency or the Royal Asia.?

Either way, great info. Thanks :bow:

The pool bars are in the Regency Park. One of them, "Pickles" actually offers use of the toilet in the Regency Park lobby to their customers. Pickles also functions as an Internet cafe. Makes the hotel sound perfect for the days when the rainy season kicks in and Sukhumvit area gets totally waterlogged. ;) I'm not going to try that, though.

Wagner

Are u telling us that u stayed for three nights here but you didn't try to bring a girl back to test the guest friendliness of the place...............!!!!!!!

Uniformguy

>stayed for three nights here but you didn't try to bring a girl back to test the guest friendliness of the place

Indeed. I'm not an iron man dedicating all his energy to testing various establishments for the benefit of the board. ::

Night 1: I had time only for a brief scan of Soi Cowboy before the post-flight exhaustion caught up with me. I did not find anything really interesting in that time, and I had in any case an early wake-up call to enroll into language school.

Night 2: Barfined a familiar cutie and her friend to make sure that she was not bored to bits, and headed to RCA. There it turned out that the cutie's ID was in the bag of another friend who had been barfined earlier and now was who knows where. The girls talked security into letting her in, but that hardly would have worked at the hotel. Cutie and I ended up in a close-by ST hotel (Crown, Soi 29).

Night 3: Queen's birthday, bars closed. Had an old friend to take me to a Thai karaoke place for some serious drinking. She is good fun but does not want to sleep with me. At 2am I realised I had better stop drinking and go to bed (alone) since my Thai lesson would start at 10am...

Wagner

Sorry....... my post wasn't meant to sound like a criticism it was just an exclamation of surprise.........I just assumed wrongly you would have ben out on the town and hence on the pull!!! Thanks for the report will have to check out the level of GF myself.

UG

Make sure you get a room facing the Soi. On the other side there are some rather noisy Chickens(not kidding). Try to avoid staying on the restaurant floor as well(noise in the morning)If you book through an agent there is fee for your tilac I think it is 500baht. I have stayed there a few times and it is absolutely hassle free with very friendly staff.

Incist on a room in the top floor and you will enjoy your stay.

MM

Archived