Price for operating systems in LOS.

sky brow

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a disclaimer:

Pirated software is available in abundance in Thailand you should have no problem finding it in well known place at cut throat prices. I respect people to make their own decissions about to use or not to use stollen software, but please don't use the forum to exchange information that will make using software any easier. I'm not trying to take a moral high ground but its a topic that carries with it potential liability for the board so I hope every one will respect that.

Cheers

ag

Says sky brow:

Hi BritTim,

Yes your info helps.Is the( multi lingual user interface pack) a download from MS?

cheers skybrow.
:)

No, try a file sharing tool like kazaa and you might find it there. In don't know if this applies to all countries, but in Germany MS does not sell the multi language pack to home users.

Concerning pirated WinXP. As said before: you do not have to register WinXP corporate editions, you only need the key printed on the label. Some early pirated versions of WinXP were not accepted by the service pack 1, because MS blocked well known keys. If you buy WinXP corporate edition with SP1 you won't have problems. Also as said before, if you want/need your own key, keymakers can be found at file sharing tools as well, which will generate fresh and working keys.

Fair enough, but I just wonder if it's just a matter of time before the illegal software situation becomes legal. An interesting precedent is what's happening now with certain types of drugs. First, it became possible for a country to produce its own generic version of the drug. Now the WTO is in the process of making it legal to sell generic drugs to poor countries despite any patents on the drug. This means the big pharmaceuticals who did the research to create the drug aren't getting a dime from drugs sold in poor countries, and it's all legal. Could the same thing be just a matter of time with software companies like microsoft getting cut out of poor countries legally?

but I just wonder if it's just a matter of time before the illegal software situation becomes legal. An interesting precedent is what's happening now with certain types of drugs. First, it became possible for a country to produce its own generic version of the drug. Now the WTO is in the process of making it legal to sell generic drugs to poor countries despite any patents on the drug. This means the big pharmaceuticals who did the research to create the drug aren't getting a dime from drugs sold in poor countries, and it's all legal. Could the same thing be just a matter of time with software companies like microsoft getting cut out of poor countries legally?

Hi Escape Rabbit,

I think this is unlikely to happen for several reasons, first there is a big difference between needing expensive medicine for a fatal/dangerous decese and the need for the latest programs/games/os. My second argument is that there are actually plenty of large businesses in Thailand that pays the full cost for their software licenses. Finally I think if it was to become free here in Thailand it would probably make the country something of a server heaven, then any company in the world could just place their servers here and use the free licenses. This would of course requre the Internet infrastructure to be upgraded.

I had a discussion with an IT manager in one of the larger corporations here in Bangkok about the subject, and I do agree with him that it's unfair that something like an Oracle license costs the same no matter where in the world you are located. What we concluded is that maybe there should be a price index depending on location.

Best regards,

Danish30

And to add, for home users and office users there is already free software "Linux" with all needed office components available. Maybe it is not as user friendly as MS software but it is closing up fast. As soon as this is becoming a big thread for MS in the developing countries MS will be forced to drop the prices. The upcoming battle field will be/is already China with a huge market. The Chinese goverment just ordered to replace Windows completeley with Chinese software in ALL state run offices.

There is at least some dual pricing already on software. I bought a copy of a boxed, legitimate game from the Emporium and it was very cheap; much cheaper than outside Thailand. The box and manual were customized for Thai language too. But then I was reminded of the phrase "no good deed goes unpunished". It didn't work and I discovered needed giant patches downloaded which I coudln't do because my ISP cuts the line before the download could complete. I then took a chance and bought it at Pantip for 100 baht. The version they sell includes the latest patch and as a side bonus of not needing the CD-ROM inserted to run it everytime.

I think what the WTO is doing with drugs is a landmark decision and a very slippery slope. Who's to say what a country can now argue is a vital thing that warrants ignoring patents/copyrights? It's a very dangerous precedent in my opinion.

Hi!

As a Unix user for 20 years and a Linux freak I basically agree. However there are still more good games for Wndoze.

It's also interesting to note that some European countries are looking into the possibillity to migrate from MicroShit to free operating systems.

regards

ALHOLK

Says ALHOLK:

Hi!

It's also interesting to note that some European countries are looking into the possibillity to migrate from MicroShit to free operating systems.

regards

ALHOLK

Yes, and MS is fighting hard to prevent this. The town of Munich decided this summer to switch from Windows to Linux. During the process even Steve Ballmer interrupted his holiday to go to Munich to convince town hall not to switch. MS' last offer was 30%! below the official price, which caused some nasty comments about MS' profit margin and overpricing. Even this offer was below the offer from a Linux company it was decided to switch to Linux. :up:

For MS it was a big loss of face (yes we have this in Germany too ::), especially because MS German headquarters are located near Munich and MS fears are that this decision has an announcement effect on other cities.

Archived