Computer donation

dddave

Early this year, I spent some time visiting my gf's village outside of Udon Thani. I spent a day at the local elementary school, sitting in on an english class and talking to the headmaster who spoke a bit of english. When I asked about computers and he said that they couldn't afford one, I volunteered that the next time I visited, I would bring one for them. I have a basic 2 year old desktop that I plan to replace with a notebook that I could donate.

Is it difficult to bring a used computer thru customs?

Is there some form of documentation I need get from a Thai Consulate here in the US first.?

Will the Windows XP o/s have to be deleted and a Thai version installed?

Are used monitors cheaply available in BKK? The computer will fit in a hard-sided suitcase but the monitor will be a pain to lug halfway arount the world.

Is appropriate Thai educational software available over the counter in BKK?

Would I just be better off buying a basic system in BKK, What would the price range be?

Any other thoughts or suggestions??

Thanks

dj

A bunch of questions. Here is my take on them, with varying degrees of confidence ...

Is it difficult to bring a used computer thru customs?

If you are only bringing a single computer (whether desktop or notebook) you should have no problem. Just say it is for your personal use. I have done this many times without any trouble.

Is there some form of documentation I need get from a Thai Consulate here in the US first.?

IMHO you do not need to bother.

Will the Windows XP o/s have to be deleted and a Thai version installed?

Any existing install of Windows XP can be adjusted to add Thai support, in the sense of being able to type in Thai and do Thai printing etc. If it is XP Pro, there is also something called a "Multi-Lingual User Interface Pack". This allows addition of Thai menus and help files: unfortunately, this is supposed to be available to corporate users only and is difficult to find. On the other hand, adding total Thai support (including help files and icons) for MS Office is no problem. In summary, you do not have to do a reinstall.

Are used monitors cheaply available in BKK?

Yes. You can pick up a good quality second hand 17" monitor at Panthip Plaza for just under 2,000 baht. A useable 15" monitor can be found for about 1,000 baht.

Is appropriate Thai educational software available over the counter in BKK?

There is some, but most of it is quite low quality (compared to what can be found in English back home). Plan to spend a couple of hours asking around Panthip Plaza and the Siam Square bookstores.

Would I just be better off buying a basic system in BKK, What would the price range be?

Well, you can buy an oldish second hand desktop computer here quite cheaply. A Pentium II 400 with 128MB RAM and, say, 3GB harddrive can be found for about 3,000-3,500 baht. On the other hand, if you have a computer with a licensed copy of Windows XP, that is worth several thousand baht: do you want to use pirated software? Used notebook computers here are ridiculously expensive, but you are not planning to do that anyway. In summary, no strong opinion.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

I think your intention is great. Motivated Thai teachers need all the help they can get. :: That is why I was willing to spend the time to write a long response to your post.

Hi dddave,

I think it's a great idea to help them out a little, but as far as I know there is a heavy tax on import electronics, you might want to check with the consulate about this. It might be a better idea just to get a second hand system here in Bangkok, if I remember correctly then in the back of the 3rd floor at Pantip they have a lot of second hand computers/parts for sale. I think you could get a complete, not totally outdated, set for something like 6-8000 Baht there. I guess you could also get them to install the software as part of the deal.

Best regards,

Danish30

as far as I know there is a heavy tax on import electronics

The official tax on fully built computers is supposed to be only 5%. The trouble is, if they try to make you pay duty at all, they are likely to put an absurd valuation on the machine. A story: ten years ago, I had the opportunity to pick up an old mainframe out of Japan. I wanted it for a six month project and they were willing to give it to me free if I took care of moving it. The Thai authorities wanted to value this machine at US$8,000,000!!! At that time, import duty on computers was 20% -- that was the end of that idea.

In my experience, with a single PC, it is best to tell them it is for personal use and I very much doubt they will argue. I have brought in desktop PCs a handful of times and notebooks probably a hundred times without ever having problems. Your milage may vary, but I doubt it. Has anyone here ever experienced a problem?

I beleive there is no duty on computers. that is at least according to a owner of a shop in pantip

Interesting... I am going to check this. The last time I checked, there was 5% duty. However, I do remember reading that WTO rules were going to eliminate this. Did not know it had happened.

Archived