The End Is Near

sfinkz

Guest lazyphil

<<personally, i don't see any way those so called "high end" tourists would come for here other than sex>>

I really do have to disagree with you here fly, I know numerous professional types who go to LOS far from p4p. Make trips to some of the Andaman Islands at the high end resorts, they tell me Krabi/Phi Phi, away from the port area, the farthest resorts (talking Phi Phi here) compare with the Caribbean. (they complain in Jamaica you cant leave the resort compound through fear of robbery ::):... Krabi is a world mecca for climbers who I doubt p4p.. I just have too many examples of those I know of who come to LOS, mainly for beaches but also marvel at the thrill and pace of BKK too. India maybe more of a cultural feast but non the less these people still repeat visit!

<<since thailand has nothing worth mentioning left better go to laos, indonesia or south america>>

I've been to the Tambopata nature reserve in Amazonian Peru and Khao Sok in LOS and both equally spectacular jungle regions. Not on the same scale as South American jungles but world class anyway. IMO anyway.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

these can and do work

----------------------------------

With a few millions tourits from western countries coming every year, I'd be stupid to deny that. Just around my family and their friends, in France, there are so many who went there. To go back to the topic, LOS tourism was expected and targeted to double between 2000 and 2010, from 10 to 20 millions. Only continous world events mishaps will hurt that goal, IMO.

My view for what's worth is Thai tourism has many decades of growth ahead of it and the current government is doing exactly the right thing with their Social Order Crusade to correct the country's image in some quarters abroad as just a place for wild night life.

Lots of single men will continue to come to Thailand as long as there is relatively cheap female companionship available from the beautiful lasses but it will hopefully be served up in a more tasteful manner without sex shows which in my opinion demean both performers and spectators.

Sure, there will be a temporary loss of tourists in the transition, but so be it.

I was in Pattaya at the begining and then evacuated about 14 years ago due to the traffic, pollution, and sleeze. Now, the TAT seems to be on the right track in marketing Pattaya as a conference, retirement and family resort -- a kind of Brighton without the stony beachs. Its working as I know several Bangkok farang couples who have recently retired to the Pattaya area. They don't object to the nightlife but would like to see it toned down with the bars confined to "entertainment areas" which can be avoided if preferred.I understand that this has been done successfully in quite a few European countries.

Says pattaya127:

these can and do work

----------------------------------

With a few millions tourits from western countries coming every year, I'd be stupid to deny that. Just around my family and their friends, in France, there are so many who went there. To go back to the topic, LOS tourism was expected and targeted to double between 2000 and 2010, from 10 to 20 millions. Only continous world events mishaps will hurt that goal, IMO.

Very true.

There is an upturn in OZ figures for Thailand at the moment Christmas is looking very strong..still down (on previous years)but now moving in the right direction

Just like I posted last month what was happening but you and JP both jumped on me that I was wrong, :beer: The bookings for Thailand are going up and tourist arrivals back on track just as I said was starting to happen at that time, Australian bookings are still down a fraction for the high season but other countries bookings are getting higher numbers for the coming high season, Australian bookings to Thailand are only about 2.5 to 3% of total bookings to Thailand so you can not judge whats happening here in LOS on Australian figures,

As I have said before as long as there is no direct bombs going off in LOS or some Sars like scandel then the high season will be back to above average numbers,

The amount of couples and tourists coming to Thailand that are not sex tourists is also much higher than most people would think, just look at all the destinations that are full of couples, Just one agency I deal with sends 1,000 rooms a week to Thailand in the high season thats about 2,000 people and they are mostly couples and familys, Phuket has something like 4,000,000 tourists a year and there are more couples and familys going there now than single guys, We can never know the actual number of tourists coming for P4P and there is a lot I know that but I would guess its much less than half of all numbers,

Many people like to run the TAT down but if you see the inner workings of the TAT they do a lot of good for tourism here, They are just a marketing tool and some of the things they do seem a bit silly at times and I would agree with that, they are much more proffesinal though than they get credit for, they arrange all types of programs for tour operators to come here and put on great partys and shows and win a lot of operators loyalty doing this,

In my opinion Thailand will stay one of the top destinations in the future as tourism is a huge business right around the world these days and is here to stay, Thailand has in many peoples eyes many special places to go and see, many things to do here, Thai hospitality is still much more friendly than many other places you can travel to in the Asian area,

If look at the only time Thailands tourist numbers went down it was the student uprising in 1973, the gulf war in 1981 and the Sars crisis this year, all other times the numbers kept increasing every year,

Racha,

I didn't jump on you. Would never do that... :angel:

I still believe that the year 2003 is a complete 'write-off' for the tourist industry in East Asia (Thailand included). Maybe, just maybe that the winter figures are similar to those of 2002, but the whole year will be a catastrophy.

Let's wait and see, it's still too early to give a final comment on this subject. :)

I agree the years satistics are difficult to catch up now with the drop in numbers we had already, what I am saying is things have recovered and the coming high season is well on track and Thailand will have record numbers again in the coming high season, Thailand lost over a million tourists to the SARs scare over three months and that will be to many lost to make the years numbers in to any new high yearly record, Jan and Feb 2003 saw gains of about a hundred thousand people from Jan and Feb 2002, I have heard the recent arrival numbers for this July and August were reported as being up as well, :beer:

Archived