Good place to rent motorbike in or near Pattaya

mongatu

I bring my own helmet. Actually, a "bicycle" one because cooler and of course, clean. Helmets(for small heads/normal sized) can be purchased for apx 500bhat at Lotus. Nothing worse than a dirty stinky helmet some other nasty farang has used for a week. I'd reccomend you bring your own, but "up to you".

As for insurance, never offered. Depends on your hotel regarding lock and chain. I never locked my bikes.

A friend has his bike stolen, perhaps by the people who rented it to him. This happens so they say, and to prove it? No way realy...bring/buy your OWN LOCK. I for one don't give them my correct hotel either. I'd also rent by DAY at first, get a feel for it all.

Regarding the left/right switch, that is not a problem. Your mind adjust, just don't drink and drive/ride.

The best bike to rent IMHO is the automatic NOVAE by Yamaha. Available all over, no shifting. Both legs free to kick away dogs or girls.

have a nice trip.

Nok the Kook

The helmet thing is the same as the bike. if you have a good one, it may be stolen from you. An average, cheap one can be left on the bike handle/basket all night long, there is an unwritten rule that you do not steal a helmet left untied to the bike in Pattaya. in 9 years of riding, I only had one stolen, and that was in my condo parking, I suspect a farang did it then. Helmets can be bought for 200 bahts in lotus, not 500. The rental shops lend you one anyway.

Thanks for the further info. 200 baht for a helmet at Tesco Lotus sound very reasonable and not a big deal if stolen. Btw, where is the Lotus in Pattaya?

Nok's main point about the helmet, I think, was those helmets that come with the rental bike may not be very clean, something which wouldn't have occurred to me.

those helmets that come with the rental bike may not be very clean, something which wouldn't have occurred to me.

And just think about all those 'things' that have sat on the seat. :doah::help::cover:

:grinyes:

There are 2 (can try other big stores too) in Pattaya: one is on Pattaya nua/north Rd, left side when you come from the beach, and the other is at Tepprasit and Sukhumvit. With the bike, none of these are too far, and if you go to the second one and it's a week-end night, there is a fun week-end market at night along Teapprasit and a big food stall market as well (even has a beer counter). Actually both these places, Lotus and the week-end market will give you an idea about how pattaya is more than just P4P and tourism. Lots of thai families there.

[color:"red"] Not sure if would be using a bicycle helmet on a motorbike. They aren't designed for motorbike impacts but I guess the cheap Tesco's helmets aren't much better either. [/color]

The point is not safety, rather something to stop the police pulling you over, although if they want to they will anyhow and invent some reason to fine you!

If you are safety minded a motorcycle in Pattaya may not be the best idea, and if you are staying within the city limits, you rarely have an opportunity to build up much speed.

. . . there is a fun week-end market at night along Teapprasit and a big food stall market as well (even has a beer counter). Actually both these places, Lotus and the week-end market will give you an idea about how pattaya is more than just P4P and tourism. Lots of thai families there.
Thanks, sounds interesting. I'll check it out next visit.

Archived