Fried Rice

Torneyboy

Fried rice and thai cooks.

Had a very rare half day off and drove my wife to her restaurant.

She asked if i wanted some fried rice 11 am...ok

No onion please ..and no sugar.

Zaad has a thread re sugar in everything i have to agree.

It arrived ..ok no sugar/no onions..but great lumps of tomatoe...never ever seen tomatoe in fried rice :doah:

At least i could finish the dish..lots of big prawns and chicken.

But why onion..in fried rice..chinese fried rice doesn''t have it

Just turns the flavour off...to me anyway ::

Did not say anything...she and chef ...have thier differences

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had friend rice many times in Thailand with onions and I like it. Usually the tomatos are served on the side and again I think a nice compliment. Usually, Kao Phad is cooked with onions and meat or seafood with veggies on the side. Not the same as in Chinese cooking.

PSILVERS here...

These topics really make me hungry while reading them. I have had onions in the fried rice in several places around LOS. I personally really like onions and find that the onions contribute a lot to the flavor.

But, since fried rice is usually made to order, you can always request no onions (and sugar - which I do agree is sometimes overdone).

PSILVERS

I don`t like onions in my fried rice either, but have to say that enjoy it when they chop the tomatos in small pieces and fry it together with the rest of the dish.

Best fried rice I`ve ever had was in soi 6 BTW, in Giovannis or something ( no, not a regular soi 6 bar ;) )

.C

No problems with onions as long as they are the green ones.

No tomatoes are another story. Too much like cantonese beef/tomato fried rice. For me, too wet, too sweet.

Now I really wonder who told the the Thais that 'American Fried Rice' had an egg on top and a chicken leg on the side. Probably one of those yanks from the start of Patpong or SC. :banghead:

Then the Brits tried to teach them pool. :banghead: :banghead:

No wonder they think we are confused. We are. :doah:

Says paulc31:

Hi torneyboy,

I like onion in my fried rice, I guess i'm off the wall
:neener:
::

My Thai girlfriend hates onions so when she cooked fried rice for me no onion, :: I really don't care if onions are in or not in my fried rice I love rice
:neener:

paulc31
:angel::grinyes:

Each to thier own p31 :neener:

At least we agree we like fried rice...boiled ok with Gang Dand/penang chicken as well :up:

Archived