Fried Rice

Torneyboy

Says LaoHuLi:

No problems with onions as long as they are the green ones.

No tomatoes are another story. Too much like cantonese beef/tomato fried rice. For me, too wet, too sweet.

Now I really wonder who told the the Thais that 'American Fried Rice' had an egg on top and a chicken leg on the side. Probably one of those yanks from the start of Patpong or SC.
:banghead:

Then the Brits tried to teach them pool.

No wonder they think we are confused. We are.
:doah:

Tomatoes do not work in fried dishes imo :doah:

The onions they use here are the brown on outside and white on inside variety.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree 100%, green onions all the way and keep the freakin' tomatoes out. Also what is that green vegetable the Thais feel needs to be in fried rice? It's kind of bitter and puts me completely off Thai fried rice. Maybe it's pak boong, like pak boong fie deng? :dunno:

My wife always used to ask me "why you don't like fried rice?" "Because Thai fried rice sucks." To which she looked slightly peeved. :cussing:

And that American Fried Rice they serve. It even has ketchup mixed in. What an abortion. :banghead:

One of the major differenes between the Thai and Chinese styles is the preparation of the rice. (and sometimes the type)

Thais generally prefer freshly steamed rice to work with, while the Chinese prefer even day old that has been run under copious quantities of water to rinse off the starch. Thus Chinese style is more individual grain than the Thai. Guess its all a matter of what you learned as a kid. :grinyes:

Now if you want to see tempers flying, you could have visited the hotel I worked at in Kunming, Western Kitchen, Chinese Kitchen and a Thai kitchen all mixed together. The Thais and the Chinese would barely speak to each other. :banghead: :banghead:

Had probably my worst 'Thai-style' fried rice last week. A soggy, tasteless blob of a dish dominated by chunks of boiled chicken. I'm sure the Thai chef has adapted the dish to the Japanese palate, i.e. Chinese style.

Deceiving dish that fried rice. Looks simple enough, but it never tastes as good as it does in Thailand.

S'pose location and atmosphere could be a factor. :dunno::banghead:

Says Roppongi:

Had probably my worst 'Thai-style' fried rice last week. A soggy, tasteless blob of a dish dominated by chunks of boiled chicken. I'm sure the Thai chef has adapted the dish to the Japanese palate, i.e. Chinese style.

Deceiving dish that fried rice. Looks simple enough, but it never tastes as good as it does in Thailand.

S'pose location and atmosphere could be a factor.
:dunno::banghead:

Hi

I think the secret is in the rice the odd times we run out of rice and she uses an OZ or any non Thai rice the flavour is different.

I guess if they are trying to cook a dish to the Japanese market they put in and cook it that way...rather go without :p

Archived