Unlmited ADSL - honestly....

coops

No, really.

Asia net are offering 850 Baht/month for 64/128k ADSL with unlimited internet usage.........

BUT ::

** only on local net

:devil::devil::devil::devil:

oh, great............

close, but no cigar.

coops

apologies for any dissapointment, always remember to read that small print.....

Why do you guys say it *can't* be -- I think ADSL can be any speed they want to offer it at. Especially in Thailand where you know they have limited bandwidth, it kinda makes sense that they'd throttle it down to a small speed like 64/128.

The assertion that it "starts at 256k" is just plain wrong. Where I am in the US there are several packages that combine 128k upstream with some higher speed downstream -- so clearly 128k is valid as a "DSL speed."

No, remember TIT (This is Thailand). In Thailand "broadband" can be the speed of a modem or two as long as it has the word adsl attached in some way. There are others offering ridiculously low speed adsl too. It seems a mere 256kbps is considered as a premium, outrageously expensive service far and beyond what anyone might ever want (sigh). There are similar TIT words to watch out for like "always on" which really means "big parking meter" and "unlimited" which means "we are talking about those who seldom use it".

Hi,

"broadband" definitions start somewhere 512 k to 2 M. Technical limit for ADSL is 8 M. The capacity of the copper wire is enough for that speed so it's not a question of bandwidth. Telephone station's capacity is the problem!

elef

The mere existence of copper wire doesn't tell the whole story. The state of the wire, the way the infrastructure is built, distance from the central office or other feeder point, all come into play with DSL.

I would be very curious to know how telephone COs in Bangkok are typically set up, as in, how far the typical customer is from their CO, etc. Anyone know? I would also be curious to know whether they use the existing wiring infrastructure (nightmarish!) or whether they run new dedicated pairs for DSL, etc. It might be very tough indeed to serve the typical subscriber at reliably high speeds.

Besides the technical factors, though, I'm sure there is some simple TIT ("Thai logic") coming into play too as others have suggested.

The main limitation in Bangkok, insofar as ADSL is concerned, is not the domestic telcos (Telecom Asia is actually not bad). 2048/1024 ADSL is quite possible from that standpoint. The big problems (speed and cost) are firstly the ISPs and secondly, and most important, the bloody Communications Authority of Thailand. A faster Internet connection than 512/256 in Thailand is generally a waste of time, because most of the time you will not get the advertised speed. In fact, the reputable ISPs in Thailand will admit this.

Just a confirmation: 128(down)/64(up) ADSL most definitely does exist in Thailand. It is a standard baseline offering by all ADSL providers. No, it does not meet my definition of "broadband" either.

Archived