Change your name

Torneyboy

My wife just told me she changed her first name 8 years ago....for luck.

She was going through all our papers for something to send to BKK to help with fathers visit in October when she showed the document to me.

I asked why..the original name is not as nice i guess as the new one but still why?

She said she was going through some bad times and wanted to change things in her life.

Went to her temple and a Monk got out some cards (not Tarot) and explained each to her and came up with her new name?????

She then said many do this for good luck..then told me of a lady 40ish (i have met her) has changed her name more than 4 times as well as her nic name?

Can anyone explain all this as her english/explanation is not clear to me on this subject.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>Can anyone explain all this as her english/explanation is not clear to me on this subject

Probably not, but I know someone who just did this, so here goes.

Thai names actually *mean* something, and it is believed that this can influence how "ones life goes" so to speak. The person I know just "elavated thier social position" so to speak, and so changed their name slightly to reflect this. In this particular case, the person only changed one letter of the name, but it changed the meaning of the sound to :Sucess, or similar. Presumably the opposite is also true. Maybe if you had a name that meant in part "dark" or similar, you might like to "Improve your luck" or change your fortune by changing it to something less inaspicious.

One thing that will *always* thaw a Thai girl out (partway!), is to ask her her "real name" (i.e not the nick name noi, lek or whatever), and then ask her to explain what it means. be prepared for a long explanation!

-j-

Hello,

I was waiting for some people's explanation before jumping in.

According to some Thai astrology which is calculated by date of birth (year, month, date, week day and the time one is born), some vowels and letters match with that person's astrology sign. But some vowels and letters may bring bad luck to the persons also.

It is a belief that some people believe without any rymes or reasons. As much as I study astrology, I don't understand about this belief. ::

However, psychologically, if it does help and no harm is done, why not? I believe in the power of minds, for the belief your TG may really that changing her name makes her luckier and the power of the belief can do some wonders.

Cheers! ::

Hi,

Not only in Thailand, but also in the west it is becoming increasingly common for people to change their name.

Sometimes only a letter is added or reduced from the former name.

The phenomenon is called numerology according to which one can change or affect the events of life by changing ones name(s).

Dont know if it works though... ::,

Yes, people do that, sometimes, maybe for for esthetic reasons, but also, if they had much troubles previously, trying to do business, then failing (bad luck in their eyes, maybe), by changing their name, they leave the bad karma to the old name and start anew with the new one. Here in the west, for ex. we move in another city, thais just change their names.

Often, they will have consulted an astrologer/fortuneteller who may have enticed them to do that, and help with the new name tones/letters according to what he found out about them. Monks, jack-of-all-trades in Thailand, can help too. Mostly it's a psychological renewal, and Thais like to bring superstitions to that personal undertaking.

Says pattaya127:

Yes, people do that, sometimes, maybe for for esthetic reasons, but also, if they had much troubles previously, trying to do business, then failing (bad luck in their eyes, maybe), by changing their name, they leave the bad karma to the old name and start anew with the new one. Here in the west, for ex. we move in another city, thais just change their names.

Often, they will have consulted an astrologer/fortuneteller who may have enticed them to do that, and help with the new name tones/letters according to what he found out about them. Monks, jack-of-all-trades in Thailand, can help too. Mostly it's a psychological renewal, and Thais like to bring superstitions to that personal undertaking.

Hi Pt

She has a Tarot reading at least twice a month.

And believes in the results.

THe monk came up with her new name via cards ..but not Tarot cards.

Letter by letter..i gather?

She wont tell me (or cant) as to why..just for good luck i changed.

All a mystery to me at the moment..i will ask our monk on the weekend if he can explain to me ...his english is not much better however.

Interesting reply, Jasmine.

I heard recently about a guy who wanted to change his name as his original name contained an inauspicious letter, I was confused by this at the time, but that explains it. I understand that "new" names are made available every so often, so if you want a change you can apply. I also understand that there are still some people in Thailand without a surname, or family name, and that these have only been around for 80-100 years or so.

[color:"red"]THe monk came up with her new name via cards ..but not Tarot cards.

[/color]

I know Tarot quite well and can tell you for sure that the cards that monk used cannot be Tarot.

Need to tell you though that NOT all monks study the arts for most monks who are quite strict will not study astrology or if they study it they will not use it.

In the Buddhism scriptures, there were a few sentences that stated that Lord Buddha did not encourage the astrology study because "it was not a way to Nirvana". However, it is a science that was included as "Astrology" of Hinduism and Buddhism. There was a famous diciple who was skillful in it and many sentences and stories were written about him (with caution from the lord Buddha).

I met a monk who was an expert in Astrology and a part of it was accomodating people who want new names or new infants' names. I had a priviledge of looking at his manuals and I was so surprised of the scientific ways of calculations but too complicated for me. :doah:

I was told once that my first name contain a vowel that is not so good, but I have kept it and IMO, my life is not bad, quite good in fact, IMO.

Like I mentioned, I study Astrology, Tarot, palm readings and a few others because I am curious. Being scientific as I am, I have found some of the Astrology calculations very scientific and depending how ones use it, it can give understanding to life.

If ones feel that they will have better luck by changing names, why not? Because of the belief, it can change to better luck, for me, it is the power of the minds, IMO. ::

Jasmine :devil:

Archived