Change your name

Torneyboy

[color:"red"] I also understand that there are still some people in Thailand without a surname, or family name, and that these have only been around for 80-100 years or so.

[/color]

I don't know Johnny Was, but it won't surprise me at all. I understand that many Thais still do not report death nor birth to correct authorities.

Strange to me ::

Cheers! ::

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says Johnny Was:

I understand that "new" names are made available every so often, so if you want a change you can apply.

This is porobably from the fact that you can't just use any old surname. It has to be a surname that is not already used by a family (although there are exceptions to this). This is why there are some really long surnames, usually Chinese who had to adopt Thai surnames to get citizenship.

I also understand that there are still some people in Thailand without a surname, or family name, and that these have only been around for 80-100 years or so.

I'd say that these are hill tribe people who would have clan names rather than family surnames as we know them.

Says jasmine:

[color:"red"]THe monk came up with her new name via cards ..but not Tarot cards.

[/color]

I know Tarot quite well and can tell you for sure that the cards that monk used cannot be Tarot.

Need to tell you though that NOT all monks study the arts for most monks who are quite strict will not study astrology or if they study it they will not use it.

In the Buddhism scriptures, there were a few sentences that stated that Lord Buddha did not encourage the astrology study because "it was not a way to Nirvana". However, it is a science that was included as "Astrology" of Hinduism and Buddhism. There was a famous diciple who was skillful in it and many sentences and stories were written about him (with caution from the lord Buddha).

I met a monk who was an expert in Astrology and a part of it was accomodating people who want new names or new infants' names. I had a priviledge of looking at his manuals and I was so surprised of the scientific ways of calculations but too complicated for me.
:doah:

I was told once that my first name contain a vowel that is not so good, but I have kept it and IMO, my life is not bad, quite good in fact, IMO.

Like I mentioned, I study Astrology, Tarot, palm readings and a few others because I am curious. Being scientific as I am, I have found some of the Astrology calculations very scientific and depending how ones use it, it can give understanding to life.

If ones feel that they will have better luck by changing names, why not? Because of the belief, it can change to better luck, for me, it is the power of the minds, IMO. ::

Jasmine
:devil:

Hi

She really believes that the new name has changed her luck.

I must say it is all very interesting,She loves going to Tarot readings every month or so..also the stones?

[color:"red"] Over all, Jas, do you consider thais rather superstitious IN GENERAL?

[/color]

I think so, even though a monk told me once that Lord Buddha said that "The best time of your life is now, and the best time to do anything is when it is convenient". Looks like the Thais have got to consult Astrology on doing anything such as Wedding day/time, moving in a new house and whatever.

[color:"red"] PS: I belive that because of that wrong vowel, you have never met me. It's not too late, change the damned letter! [/color]

Gee thanks, you are sweet! :hug: I will pass on changing the name, too old to remember a new name, P127! :neener:

[color:"red"]Hi

I must say it is all very interesting,She loves going to Tarot readings every month or so..also the stones?

[/color]

Tarot cards are quite fascinating really. I study the Astrology and Tarot cards but I have never have anyone read my sign, I read it myself. I have read for someone else and found it fascinating (Tarot only, not other type of Astrology) that some predictions are right on the target.

I was told about a woman who goes to several fortune tellers every week and she will keep on going to different ones until she finds the one that predicts exactly what she wants to hear, then she stops for a while, then starts the cycle all over again the following week ::

[color:"red"]She really believes that the new name has changed her luck.

[/color]

When she believes that, it does give her a postive mind and a positive mind attracts good things. I believe that is why she feels lucky. :bow:

What I mean about a positive mind is that(example) when one feels lucky, ones smile to just about anyone, deals with negatives in better way so people react better and so on. Depending how we deal with obstacles, the result can vary, but if ones feel that things will be ok at the end of the road, the thinking mind can come up with win-win situations, IMO.

Jasmine ::

Says jasmine:

[color:"red"]Hi

[/color]

Tarot cards are quite fascinating really. I study the Astrology and Tarot cards but I have never have anyone read my sign, I read it myself. I have read for someone else and found it fascinating (Tarot only, not other type of Astrology) that some predictions are right on the target.

I was told about a woman who goes to several fortune tellers every week and she will keep on going to different ones until she finds the one that predicts exactly what she wants to hear, then she stops for a while, then starts the cycle all over again the following week ::

[color:"red"]She really believes that the new name has changed her luck.

[/color]

When she believes that, it does give her a postive mind and a positive mind attracts good things. I believe that is why she feels lucky.
:bow:

What I mean about a positive mind is that(example) when one feels lucky, ones smile to just about anyone, deals with negatives in better way so people react better and so on. Depending how we deal with obstacles, the result can vary, but if ones feel that things will be ok at the end of the road, the thinking mind can come up with win-win situations, IMO.

Jasmine ::

Hi

She smiles all the time ...she married me ::

Her sister is the same as your example of going to readings untill she finds what she wants ::

When i go with my wife we start with Tarot cards and then a deck of ""brown cards"" maybe not much help..sorry.

And finish with a bag of stones..but not each time.

I have to agree is spot on every time ..a bit scary for me at least.

I only ask about love/romance ..happiness..never anything ..um um bad..it is to close for comfort again for me anyway.

BTW i posted a question some months ago Thais and Tarot and no one replied..is it just you and my thai friends that are interested in it?

All the readers we go to are Thai (Sydney) btw

[color:"red"] BTW i posted a question some months ago Thais and Tarot and no one replied..is it just you and my thai friends that are interested in it?

[/color]

Each for his own. My Hubby thinks it is a waste of time but he does not care what I do for my curiosities don't match his.

Onec in a while, he accomodates me by letting me read some events concerning him, what is loving for right? ::

Hi toneyboy,

I just found out that my Thai girlfrind changed her name 5 years ago :: She sent me back more papers I asked her to finish so she could get her visa ::

I got a copy of her birth certificate in English, plus a certified copy of a name change approval letter and lord behold a differant first name :doah:

I emailed and asked her why she changed her name , she told it was to change her luck, and to bring her happness :grinyes:

paulc31 :angel::grinyes:

Says jasmine:

[color:"red"] BTW i posted a question some months ago Thais and Tarot and no one replied..is it just you and my thai friends that are interested in it?

[/color]

Each for his own. My Hubby thinks it is a waste of time but he does not care what I do for my curiosities don't match his.

Onec in a while, he accomodates me by letting me read some events concerning him, what is loving for right? ::

Hi

Don''t think it as a waste of time if you believe in the cards.

My wife puts a lot of trust in the readings.

I guess he calls it hogwash?? unless you hit on something in his life.

I was a bit the same way untill the cards kept being correct on things in the past and some present time as well. :up:

Archived