Singha Bier Haus / Schwabing Cocktail Lounge

StoneSoup

Walking back home from my company's new offices in BB Bldg on Soi Asoke, I noticed for the first time the large German-style complex across the street from the Caltex gas station. Quite an impressive site - spacious property with Black Forest style buildings, and a large parking lot out back. Completely deserted, except for a sleepy security guard out back. Site slowly falling into decay.

This property looks to me like it must once have been a successful place. Two crumbling signs identify two of the earlier occupants - the Schwabing Cocktail Lounge, and the Singha Brau Haus.

Does anybody remember this place in its heyday? I have to think it must have been a popular spot - they layout looks good, and the parking is convenient. What happened to this place?

The security guard mumbled something about 20 million baht - but this surely cannot be the selling price - it would ppear to be a steal at that price (earning 10% return annually would require 167,000 baht per month rental income - this place could be reconfigured easily into 20 small offices, plus a couple of restaurants/pubs, plus a banquet or meeting hall.

Anybody know the story about this place?

Cheers!

StoneSoup

The Singha Bier Haus opened over 20 years ago and was a thriving place for a long time. I even took my mother and her German friend there when they came on a visit to Bangkok. It had good German food, delicious German bread (best in the world!), Singha beer on tap -- or even in a boot. The waitresses were cute Thai gals who looked adorable in their Dirndls and with their hair in braids.

The Bier Haus was always packed back in the '80s. I have no idea why it closed. However, the late '70s and early '80s was a period when German/Austrian/Swiss tourists were flocking to Thailand. There was an active attempt to get the Germans to come to replace the GI who had left with the end of the VN War and the closing of the American bases in Thailand. I used to like to go to Die Kneipe on Patpong for good German meals before hitting the bars. But with the declining number of German tourists in the mid to late '80s, Die Kneipe was turned into just an ordinary bakery. Maybe the Singha Bier Haus suffered the same decline in business. It's a shame, since I really like the place!

• 2 months later...

Well, I brought this old thread back to life because - I'll be damned if the old Singha BrewHouse isn't coming back to life!!! Walked home past it this week, and it's all decked out with Singha beer garden tents, with girls out front handing out flyers:

Quote:

It's been quite a long while since we were away.

Now We Are Back!

With even better feeling "Chillout"

and the new look indoor and outdoor.

Your choice have it your away

The great food and very cool flash draft of Singha beer

The great mood is free on the house

We got the great "live band" and the most coolest DJ's

7 days 7 style

Lets hang out 5 pm to 2 am

Asoke, Opposite Grammy Building

I haven't stopped in yet to check it out, but I will do so tomorrow night. This is on Asoke, opposite side from Soi Cowboy, and about 900 meters north of Sukhumvit.

The place has ENOURMOUS potential (although the location is a bit off the beaten path). The whole place is Black Forest style architecture, and maybe twice the size of Gullivers. 'Would make a great location for a Friday night Nanaplaza get-together - as a change of pace (place) every once in a while.

'Just hope they have beer other than Singha !

Cheers!

StoneSoup

Hi StoneSoup,

Very interesting news indeed!

I believe I was there 5-6 years ago for a very fun New Year's Eve Party. As I recall it was about 95% Thai and only a few farang, but it was a lot of fun.

The food was great and it was easy to stumble across Asoke to SC afterwards.

Only negative was rainy/hot season being outside although they did have an indoor a/c section where most farangs were.

I did a walkthrough about 6:30 pm on Friday night. They have a beergarden set up in the space between the two main buildings - Singha tents. Singha draft beer,plus about a dozen bottled beers, various wine coolers, full bar. They had various food vedors set up undrertents - German brats, schweine-haxe, suerkraut (even had laungenbretzeln) undrer one, steak and veal under anpother, schish-kebabs under another, a full seafoodspread on ice, Thai food - quite a good spread of choices.

There was a giant TV screen with fairly good sound system set up in beergarden, showing a football (soccer) match. Coming in off the street, and up the steps of thefront patio, the building to the left was open - German style beerhall bench tables and styrdy chairs - witha bandstand and DJ booth in rear. Fans on, but entire front of this large room was open into the beergarden. The room was completely empty - everybody was outside.

There were maybe 100 workers, plus 60 Thai customers - mostly watching to foorball game and dribking beer. Everyone very cheerful and friendly - I was the only farang in sight.

This looked like a good place for a group to get together and shoot the bull, with no bargirls anywhere in sight (for better, or for worse - hey, there's a time for everything!).

Monster parking lot out back. I think I'll stop in periodically, just because its almost across the street from my office. But - I doubt this will ever be much of a freelancer spot.

Cheers!

StoneSoup

Archived