Illegal stay- just imagine

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no one i know who has spend more than a few weeks in there came out healthy. most have bad ulcers, fungus and diarria because of the insufficient diet.

I survived 9 1/2 months in as Asian POW camp. I doubt I would last 48 hours in IDC.

My Visas are ALWAYS legit. :grinyes:

Pay attention out there lads, this is no joke.

And it applies to ALL destinations. You only have to think you are smarter/better than the locals once, so swallow the egos. :nono:

:beer:

Guest lazyphil

<<I survived 9 1/2 months in as Asian POW camp. I doubt I would last 48 hours in IDC>>

I survived the best part of my 20 years living on council estates one of which quite notorious round here, ok not Chapel Town, Toxteth or Moss Side :: where as a kid I stay over friends house who on looking back one family lived in utter squalid conditions (funny isn?t it as a child we don?t judge too much?), parents slept down stairs (dad had Emphysema or some such condition), god knows how many off spring lived upstairs, they cooked up a revolting broth once a week for their Greyhound dogs that stunk the whole neighbourhood out. Point being people adapt and learn to tolerate unusual and strange environments. I could go on to tell you about a local thug (eventually did time for GBH, firearms offences and robbery!!) who made my life a living hell for about five years, felt like a prisoner in my own neighbourhood back then :help:

So I think you could survive the dreaded IDC, you would adapt :D

So I think you could survice the dreaded IDC, you would adapt

Thanks for the vote of confidence.....I think. :grinyes:

But My 'days' were 30 years ago. Whilst "I" would survive IDC, my body would be very hard pressed to last more than a few days. Such occurances happen as we age. So do the tough stuff when you are young, might physically not be able to later. :neener:

After a 3 month stay this past spring, I had one day left on my visa with a seat booked for home on Eva that day. Unfortunatly, I also had a nasty cold. This was at the height of the SARS panic and when my coughing, snorting, runny eyed self showed at the check-in counter, I wasn't made to feel exactly welcome. Though I had no temperature and was in possession of a leter from a Dr. at Bumrumgrad attesting that I was SARS free, they declined to issue me a boarding pass. They re-booked me for 5 days later, never mentioning anything about my visa.

Without checking any furthur, I stupidly left the airport, catching a cab for Pattaya figuring I'd lounge on the beach for the five days while the cough cleared up.

The hotel clerk at Jomtien noticed the about to expire visa but as they were desperate to rent rooms at that time, he let it pass, saying I should check at the Pattaya immigration office the next day.

Though the clerk gave me directions, I couldn't find the office so I stopped into a small bar somewhere around Soi P.O. and asked . The British owner told me how to get there and casually asked why I was going there. When I explained my situation, he said "Christ mate, don't do it, they'll throw you straight into the fukin' can" He explained how others he has known have naively gone to immigration to "straighten out" an expired visa only to find themselves immediately ushered into the lock-up.

He advised that I just lay low, stay out of trouble and pay my fine at the airport, which is exactly what I did. I gave the hotel clerk a B500 "tip" to overlook the visa report and made the beach chair vendors happy while I recooperated in the sunshine.

It was probably the best advise I ever got in Thailand. I hope I can find that bar the next time I'm in LOS, I'd like a chance to ring the bell.

dj

Good post, although I would not advocate to anyone overstaying their visa and paying the airport 'fine'. (Your circumstance was 'forced' upon you)

It is a pity the immigration police elsewhere do not take the same attitude as immigration at the airport by accepting short overstays who declare themselves and sending them on their way with a visa extension after paying the fees and fines, and perhaps checking their flight booking. :up:

One can only say TIT and keep your nose clean.

By the way, since the cost of a visa extension has gone up somewhat, are the overstay daily fines at the airport due to rise too?

>>>When I explained my situation, he said "Christ mate, don't do it, they'll throw you straight into the fukin' can" He explained how others he has known have naively gone to immigration to "straighten out" an expired visa only to find themselves immediately ushered into the lock-up.<<<

that was a bullshit advice.

the immigration is very reluctant, unless during crackdowns, to put any farang into the IDC as it is so overcrowded. once i accompanied a friend there who wanted to give himself up after an overstay of more than a year (and after already two extended stays in the IDC). at first the immigration refused to arrest him, and only after pleading with them, and a wait of several hours they finally jailed him.

and in case of some reasonable emergency like yours they would have been only too glad to give you an extension, as they have done several times during my tourist visa years.

don't forget - the overcrowded IDC is a big burden to the immigration authorities.

Archived