Illegal stay- just imagine

Imagine a enclosed rat and cockroach infested room, about 5 by 10 meters in size, public showers and toilets, 2 meals of rice soup with something floating inside, one side with steel bars and locked at all times. Imagine this room shared by between 100 and 500 persons depending on the time of the month. Imagine have to time-share your sleeping hours for lack of space. And imagine the continuous risk of being robbed of the few valuables you still have. And imagine having to stay in this room for an indefinity period of time. Imagine also your only way to reach out is by slipping a piece of paper to the occasional visitor.

That's IDC, or Immigration Detention Centre, for you if caught illegally in Thailand with insufficient funds to pay your way out.

As Fly saud earlier, be careful!!!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"green"] [/color] Imagine a enclosed rat and cockroach infested room, about 5 by 10 meters in size, public showers and toilets, 2 meals of rice soup with something floating inside..... Imagine this room shared by between 100 and 500 persons depending on the time of the month. ....Imagine having to time-share your sleeping hours for lack of space. [/color]

Sounds like my mate's guesthouse on a Bank Holiday weekend. ::

Seriously though, I agree, be careful!!!!

Things are changing in LOS.

bangkok's finest prison...

you can add as well that in the IDC prisoners are locked in that lovely room 24/7 - no time in a courtyard or outside as in normal prisons unless you are one of the cell-leaders, which westerners rarely become. it also costs a lot of money to get a bed in the more comfortable cell leaders side room.

some are in there for years - burmese and chinese, and nigerians who do not have an embassy in thailand. all for the crime of having overstayed the visa, of being a refugee with no hope to be accepted by a third country, and refused back into by your homecountry.

once a while violence breaks out as well - imagine that tightly packed room with lots of people going at each other... :eek:

no one i know who has spend more than a few weeks in there came out healthy. most have bad ulcers, fungus and diarria because of the insufficient diet.

Not familiar with IDC, but what you said, is not much different then what most countries do.

Before 9-11, the United States had a considerable number of people in prison that had not been charged with any crime. It is speculative, that if they were charged with a crime, it would be related to being in the country illegally or committing a crime as an illegal person in that country. A few months before 9-11, I contacted the Federal prison system and tried to ascertain who some of these people were - I got no reply. Very similar arrangement is the prisoners the US is holding in prison in Cuba.

From what you said, the IDC sounds bettwer then the Thai prisons. The Thai prisons are extremely hot, and when one visits with a prisoner, they have to talk thru a microphone as they view the person thru a glass wall. Neither places seems like a nice place to be.

>>>From what you said, the IDC sounds bettwer then the Thai prisons. <<<

every foreign prisoner dreads the weeks he has to spend in the IDC when his/her sentence is finished, prior to the deportation.

you can easily visit the people in the IDC and have a look for yourself. bring some bread and fruit, go to the back of the suan plu immigration, weekdays before 11 o'clock i think.

you can have a good look at the cells once inside through the wire mesh - those cells are where they spend their time 24/7. no aircon, just a few huge fans at one side of the room blowing the stink away from visitors.

>>> Thai prisons are extremely hot, and when one visits with a prisoner, they have to talk thru a microphone as they view the person thru a glass wall. <<<

sorry, but i have never seen that.

all the prisons i have visited people here were two wire meshs separated by a approximate distance of one and a half meters. microphones???

Not familiar with IDC,

Obviously..or any other place of detention in Asia. So please relate your comments to things the YOU have experienced.

but what you said, is not much different then what most countries do.

rediculous, unless you are referring to African labour camps.

As others sugggest, you owe your reality the trip to visit IDC. Even from the other side, you will have a 'better perspective'.

The Thai prisons are extremely hot, and when one visits with a prisoner, they have to talk thru a microphone as they view the person thru a glass wall.

Too many video rentals ? :dunno:

Archived