Illegal stay- just imagine

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not addressed to anyone in particular, but I just wanted to say that until I read this thread I had no idea there could be such serious consequences for a minor visa violation like a one day overstay. I'm glad that so far I have obeyed the letter of the law in LOS regarding visa stuff, and I certainly will continue to do so.

Yeah all pretty scary stuff alright, but I wonder if it somehow is just a tiny bit like the SARS & stuff - just blown a bit out of proportion...

Sure I've been at Suan plu for whatever reason, but never visited(or peeped) the IDC though.

Never used visa service, but did a few border runs here & there.

Recently over stayed by 1 day as flight was just past midnight & though nothing of it untill the guy with the stamp casually pointed me to the 'overstay' counter where I noticed a lot of guys paying their way out, while my 1 day overstay was free as I knew :bow:

All handled very matter of factly & I don't see that changing unless perhaps if overstaying for say months.

Also very recently I genuinely had forgotten my passport at my room in BKK while on a 1-2 day trip to PTY & the hotel lady did not even ask a 2nd time for a copy(which I had) or any other ID. Of course she knew me as I always stay at that hotel, but still I guess they have to do some sort of book keeping unless she just pocketed the cash? :dunno:

just to post my experience with the overstay thing:

A couple of years ago I worked as a teacher in a school in rangsit in the northern part of bkk. part of the deal that i struck with that school was for them to take care of work permit, teachers license and visa arrangements.

all well, i worked for them about 3-4 months before i got into trouble with the management of the school there. the short of the long is that I quit that job and found something else to put bread under the butter.

meanwhile i stayed on the visa that i had gotten off of that school in rangsit, but they had never gotten around to finally give me a work permit. thus, that visa was technically not valid.

the day that i went to immigration in suan plu, i thus had an overstay of 5 months, and a few days.

Luckily i met a really friendly lady there who explained that i was due too pay a fine of 20000 baht.

I didnt do that, but flew to hong kong the next day. tell you the truth, i was sweating fear in the airport, but they didnt notice and stamped "departured" in my passport. The old visa was thus without effect, and the fine was gone.

Reading the stories of jail on the thread here makes me realise just how lucky i was.

thanks for sharing exp.

:up:

Pc

Archived