John Ritter dies (probably not of much interest to

I was told by an ambulance man that in my country (australia) that 1 in 3 men never reach retirement age. better odds than a lot of countries i know but it just goes to show that its worthwhile smelling the roses as you go.

Exactly, and this is why placing too much emphasis on planning for the long term future is misguided, imo. Not saying one should entirely ignore planning for the future, but there comes a time when you've just got to go for it, take some calculated risks and trust that things will somehow work out.

I am now 51 and I just realized that, if I'm lucky, I may have 10 good or maybe even 20 years left to "smell the roses" while I can still enjoy it. I just wish I had discovered the LOS a bit earlier in my life. But I intend to make up for lost time, and I'm not just talking about the p4p scene there, which anyway is not the main reason I like Thailand so much (but it is nice that it is there :)).

I was fortunate to have seen John (and Henry Winkler) perform on Broadway a few years ago in a limited run play. Afterwards, for charity, they were posing for photographs with members of the audience. I chatted with John briefly and he seemed like a real decent guy (as did "the Fonz" although Winkler's hands were definitely roaming a bit on my then gf! :o). And only in his fifties - life is too short. Fellow board members are right when they speak of seizing opportunities when they come along... Ritter certainly did not look like a guy who only had a few more years left.

3's Company was a favorite of mine as it probably was with a lot of the Americans on here as well.

Not sure if its just kindness spoken about the dead and the 'hollywood' thing to do but they are saying he was genuinely a nice guy and not your typical Hollywood a-hole star. Either way its sad to hear of his passing all the same.

Supposedly he had a condition where he had a tear in in his heart. Slight tear that is supposed to be hard to detect. That is a scary thought! I think I'll call my HMO for a checkup :(

Says Mongatu:

Exactly, and this is why placing too much emphasis on planning for the long term future is misguided, imo. Not saying one should entirely ignore planning for the future, but there comes a time when you've just got to go for it, take some calculated risks and trust that things will somehow work out.

I am now 51 and I just realized that, if I'm lucky, I may have 10 good or maybe even 20 years left to "smell the roses" while I can still enjoy it. I just wish I had discovered the LOS a bit earlier in my life. But I intend to make up for lost time, and I'm not just talking about the p4p scene there, which anyway is not the main reason I like Thailand so much (but it is nice that it is there
:)
).

Gotta agree with everything you said. Being 51, as you are, Ritter's death sparked more thought than Cash's. Although overweight- definitely not good for the heart- one might think that Cash's hard living, drinking and drug addiction would have done him in much earlier.

Only a scant 16 years between their ages, yet Ritter feels to me so much younger, probably because he was so close to my age. Makes me realize how fast my last 16 years have gone.

Archived