Another Senseless Road Death In Thailand

Torneyboy

Another senseless road death.

The first Thai person that i have known was killed a few days ago in the floating market area of Thailand.

A young man 20 years of age died while riding his motor bike to work at the markets ,no shoes,no helmet,speeding, cut a corner and crashed head on with a truck heading in the opposite direction and died at the scene.

I knew the boy we and some of his friends played soccer in a vacant paddock last year .

A couple of days before my wife and i headed off to Hua Hin for our honeymoon.

Senseless.

Why speed ..if late for work,i do not think the Thai boss would worry to much.

Young and bullet proof i think..hence no helmet,shoes etc.

Very sad for his family and loved ones .

My wifes father has arranged for monks to help the family through this ordeal.

The families property is next door to my wifes property,the crash was only a short distance from his home.

The truck btw is always on this part of the road daily going to plantations near my wifes fathers plantation he must have known to look out for it?

I know Thailands road deaths are terrible and we have spoken about the facts..but a young man i knew and the only Thai i have actually known being killed like this just makes me wonder about the thais as far as road rules/safety are concerned.

Just a young man on his way to work.

My heart goes out to the family,i know how i would be feeling if it were my son.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says Straycat:

In the past three weeks six people -- I repeat,
six!
-- have died in traffic accidents just outside the entrance to the soi where I live. It's mayhem out there!
:banghead:

Hi

I know.

We have talked about this in several threads...but this one is close to home in more ways than one.

A quiet road leading to another larger one that if you follow it you hit the road to Hua Hin.

He was just off a dirt road and only a short distance along the tarred road when it happened.

I have read the stats for Thailand road deaths and is scary to say the least.

Just a waste.

Has anyone evr tried and succeded in reasoning these immature adults about the risks of their driving, not only for them, but also others in their ways? You get one of the most stupid thai smiles in the repertory for answer...

I do not know one person in Thailand who does not have marks on his/her body from previous bike accidents, even though they may not have been driving.

I am sorry, but here, the words cluelessly stupid come to mind. I can understand being 14 and mindless, but at 20, i was in college, and my idea of fun was not, and for a long time back, to speed like a bat out of hell on trafficked roads. grow up, idiots!

Says torneyboy:

A young man 20 years of age died while riding his motor bike to work at the markets ,no shoes,no helmet,speeding, cut a corner and crashed head on with a truck heading in the opposite direction and died at the scene.

Frankly I have very little simpathy for those nuts.

I do drive everyday in Thailand and they make me risk my life when I drive the motorbike and my money, time and serenity when I drive the car...

BTW in Udon Thani (dunno about elsewhere) they are "cracking down" on road rules offenses, that means that they are fining all those that don't have a driving license!.....

(as if having a Thai driving license proved anything anyway)

Says torneyboy:

Young and bullet proof i think..hence no helmet,shoes etc.

Also elders and women drive like that, often worse...

Says torneyboy:

just makes me wonder about the thais as far as road rules/safety are concerned.

It makes me wonder (not really, already know the reality...) about the Thais and rules/safety in general, not only road related...

Besides that, the average Thai is a very untalented driver.

The youngsters who want to impress the girls showing off their stunt-driving abilities particularly make me laugh. Any 14yo back in Italy would easily put them at shame on small wheeled automatic scooters with half the power of their useless, loud "motosai"......

Not to talk about the richer guys on tuned cars who just make a lot of noise and little else..

Ciao

Truly sad TB. Especially when you know them.

But very common in LOS. Have know many a young men (and a couple of girls) who ended their lives this way. CM used to record 50 a day in MVAs alone. Mom, Dad and the 3 kids on a Honda Dream, as fast as they can....into the side of a garbage truck backing out onto the street.

Sadly a daily occurance here in LOS.

Says Mongatu:

Question . . . How dangerous do you think it is it to ride a motor bike in LOS if you are very careful?

First, sorry to read this TB, my sympathy to the family.

For the Montagu question: I drive daily on motorbike around the country side here, it's absolutely scary.

The number of deads I see or here about every day...

Just yesterday a man was laying on the ground and had a piece of his motorbike stuck in one eye, dead for sure.

Last week in a curve, a young guy driving in front of me was impatient, we had a lorry in front of us. He needed to take small road on the right and just went for it. At the same moment a songtaew was coming from the other direction. The driver had to jump on his brakes to avoid the boy and horned angrily a long time. I still hear the horning in my ears....

How dangerous do you think it is it to ride a motor bike in LOS

-------------------------------

you are just going to get yes and nos. Best is for you to do it, and see how you feel. I have driven and ridden everywhere, never felt it was dangerous, and still I admit the stats are really bad. But I would say if you drive carefully, you will be safe. Then you may here that evening, some guy ran into a biker in the same spot you were at 5 minutes before. Most casualties i hear about farangs happened on the Islands, or out of drunkeness. I had a friend who fell and hurt himself, but he was just starting to ride in town (Pattaya), I had just taught him 2 months before, and he was 62 already. Now, he seems to do fine and appreciate having 2 wheels to run errands.

Archived