How do Thais carry newborn babies?

jai-dee

I have just joined the family club a few days ago and I have a problem already. I've trying to find a carry cot or baby capsule(or indeed any basket of suitable size with handles) in department stores, shopping centers, markets in Bangkok, and the availability of this item seems to be 0.0 to at least 10 decimal places.

Does any of you recent fathers have any idea where I can buy something to carry a newborn baby? I've been asking many

Thai friends but they just explain that in Thailand babies under one month are not carried anywhere. I pointed out that sometimes they must be carried from the hospital home or from home to visit a doctor and the answer was: "In hands". Well I'll be flying to farangland with her in a few weeks and I don't intend to carry the baby "in hands" through 4 airports.

Hi Jai dee,

Congrats! :up:

However you may have run into a problem indeed.

The closest thing I've seen is a carry on thing where you carry the baby on your breast, but for a one month old it'ld be a tad bit too young for that.

I've got a maxi cosi imported from Holland, they're ideal, but I do not know where you could find them in BKK.

Did you try Siam Discovery yet?

Good luck.

Hi,

As a recent father myself have a 13 month old daughter. I have found the same problem looking for baby equipment.

The best place we found is the Central Department store at Chidlom. You can take the skytrain. There is a huge baby dept. with just about everything imaginable. Hope this helps.

LL

Thanks limbo and llso, both tips spot on. I was about to go to Jatujak to look for some bamboo basket to carry piglets or whatever. Both Siam Discovery and Chitlom Central sell maxi cosi (7000B) but at Central I found a french brand (almost identical to the dutch one) for 4000B.

Welcome to the wonderful world of fatherhood. Be prepared to make intimate acquaintance with vomit, stool and all those other unknown substances that seem to errupt from newborns and babies on all occasions. Nothing *quite* like getting deluged in warm, partly digested milk...LOL.

As to your enquiry, as said, the Central department stores have pretty much all that could be required. In general though, Thai's will not use them (or prams/pushchairs etc), and babies are carried. They quite often use a piece of cloth tied behind the mother as a "sling" to carry a baby in. If you are travelling though, it maybe a different kettle of fish. Rather than a traditional baby carrier though, for a fairly new borne baby, you might like to investigate the western style baby carriers that enable the baby to be carried on your chest. It like a very small, highbacked "sling seat" that the baby sits in, and is then strapped to your chest. These are pretty good as the baby is essentially nestling against your heart, and they pretty much drop off to sleep instantly. You *do* have to watch the head pretty continuously though, as they cannot support properly at that stage. However, in a carrier, they lose the personal contact and can get quite fretful.

If flying, make sure you request (as soon as possible) one of the "bassinet" seats. These are the ones right in front of the film screen. There's a couple of "widgets" there that allow the fitting of a sleeping bassinet for the baby. During take off and landing though, the baby must be held. On take off (and landing), its a good idea to time things so the baby is being fed, as the change in cabin pressure can be a problem, but if the baby is drinking things "get sorted out" (to use the technical term!).

Good luck

-j-

Says josh_ingu:

Rather than a traditional baby carrier though, for a fairly new borne baby, you might like to investigate the western style baby carriers that enable the baby to be carried on your chest.

Hi ji,

These are sold in Tesco-Lotus at On Nut - probably a lot cheaper than Central. They have a lot of other stuff there as well - was shopping on Saturday. They may not have the range of choice or quality, but prices will be much lower - up to you.

Khwai

Archived