6pm watershed ?

torrenova

Says Gadfly1:

I agree, but this restriction is so silly it just makes me want to ask: what possible policy justification is there behind this rule?

Guess 1: Protection of the farangs livers?

Guess 2: Increase in Barfine-Sales, as people who are drunk befor 6pm are not as likely to engage in P4P-Actions as the ones that are sober?

Guess3: Up to you?

Guess4: TIT

MaW

Gadfly1 -

"but this restriction is so silly it just makes me want to ask: what possible policy justification is there behind this rule?"

I can think of none. But we will know a lot more after APEC. If the rules are relaxed in Patpong after the summit, then we will know the new rule was only temporary and perhaps designed to lessen visitors to Patpong in the lead up to, and during, the APEC summit.

If the rules in Patpong remain the same after APEC, and restaurants and bars really can't sell alcohol till after 6PM, we can probably assume that this is just another measure designed to strangle the farang oriented nightlife venues.

My questions is, so far as anyone knows, this 6PM restriction on selling alcohol is limited only to Patpong correct? I have read nowhere and heard from no one else that any other area is having to follow these harsh new guidelines?

"The gendarmes have dusted off and are enforcing a three-decade-old law; niteries and eateries can't serve alcohol between 2-6pm. Any comment would be superfluous."

So is this actually being enforced everywhere?

I seriously won't be able to go to the Golden Beer Bar or any other establishment and have a drink before 6PM?

Are all the beer bars closed in Pattaya till 6PM. If so, wouldn't they be losing a huge amount of business. What about all the bar/restaurants throughout BKK? I would think having to write off daytime trade would have a huge financial impact on a lot of establishments. This rule sounds so archaic I can hardly believe that a reasonably modern society would enforce it.

Has anyone actually observed this being enforced outside of Patpong.

I get a late start each day, but I typically am out and about before 6PM. Being told I can't get a beer with lunch would make me seriously consider not going back to Thailand anytime soon.

Says WarHammer:

This rule sounds so archaic I can hardly believe that a reasonably modern society would enforce it.

It wasn't that long ago (10 yrs?) that all pubs in the UK had to close between 2:30pm and 5:30pm on weekdays, and between 2:00pm and 7:30pm on Sundays. Thankfully we have now repealed that law, though most pubs still have to close at 11:00pm. However there appears to be a lot of loosening up and many pubs and bars can now open till 2:00am at weekends. :beer::drunk:

<< I can hardly believe that a reasonably modern society would enforce it. >>

Well, this was England. And I remember quite well that when I lived in Texas there were NO liquor sales allowed on a Sunday at all! It was idiotic, since you could keep your own bottle in a restaurant. Then you could go there to dine, have a drink from your own bottle ... and pay for the glass and mixer! Talk about assinine. (Good old Bible Belt.)

Archived