6pm watershed ?

torrenova

Reading elsewhere that alcohol may be off the menu until 6pm due to the boys in brown and the build up to the APEC summit.

Go-gos not showing (yeah I know), no curtains in Patpong (OK), go-gos cannot open before 6pm in Pattaya ?

One poster stated that as of last night, he and his wife couldn't get food in some places they went to before 6pm as they weren't open because they couldn't serve alcohol.

Is anyone on the ground now in Bangkok or Pattaya who can substantiate these allegations or add their own experiences of how bad things have got ?

torrenova -

I see you posted this exact same question on the FLB Board.

It appears one forum member on FLB posted that all Pattaya go-go's were required to be shut till 6PM. Numerous people on that forum say the claim is nonsense and that the person posting this stuff is something of an alarmist.

As far as Patpong goes, I have read exactly one report about the 6PM restriction on openings and alcohol. Would not surprise me too terribly much if it were true, but I have not heard any reliable reports of it happening elsewhere.

It seems people get a bit hysterical about these crackdowns. I think it would be most useful if folks tried to stick with posting facts and on the ground observations rather than gossip.

While more crackdown related changes are most certainly on the horizon, it really would be a good idea to fret about what is really happening and not get all excited about rumours.

[color:"red"] It seems people get a bit hysterical about these crackdowns. I think it would be most useful if folks tried to stick with posting facts and on the ground observations rather than gossip.

[/color]

Of course people get rather hysterical about these crackdowns - but a board without a bit of gossip would be rather dull.. :up:

Can only confirm the part about the doors to the GoGos in Patpong having to be wide open. This seemed to be true as all the places I either went to or walked by did have their doors wide open. Did make it easier to scope out the "contents" a little before entering and was fun to watch the expressions on some of the old biddys in the market throngs that glanced inside as they shuffled by.

Hola Senor T! As I said on Nanapong, it's kinda spooky. I spent the first part of the evening of the 16th in Patpong. A nice pizza meal at Madrid and some shopping with the wife. It is true that the coppers have forced the pubs to not serve alcohol before 1800. Wierd, but TIT. The good part is that there are very few touts at the early hours...the bad is that most places (not serving food) are closed. Also odd is that all the go-gos have to have the door wide open with no curtain. Absolutely no hanky-panky/nudity going on. And no customers either, even in the infamous Nanapong "No Name" bars on PP2! The second floor touts were in biz tho'. But as usual, I have no idea if they promised the truth! Also, no fake watches, handbags or DVD/CDs to be found. Really wierd. Rumour has it that this is only until the end of APEC...but we'll see. Just a depressing, sad, no customer scene all-in-all. Since other areas do not seem to be affected, it must be a edict from the Bang Rak police chief.

Cheers,

SD

It is a bit of a drag for me as my office is in CP Tower across the street on Silom. Often we went to Cosmos, Crown Royal et al for a few after work drinks. But I leave work at 5pm. I am not going to wait around for them to open, so I go home and not come back as I live too far away (Thonglor).

Cheers,

SD

Says suadum:

It is a bit of a drag for me as my office is in CP Tower across the street on Silom. Often we went to Cosmos, Crown Royal et al for a few after work drinks. But I leave work at 5pm. I am not going to wait around for them to open, so I go home and not come back as I live too far away (Thonglor).

Cheers,

SD

Just put in an extra hour of work! Good for you, your company and the Thai ecconomy!

MaW

Archived