Hurricane Isabel Batters Eastern US

Taiphoons or Hurricanes as they?re called in the Americas are nothing unusual over here and in neighboring countries of Korea and China. People live with this threat every year from June till mid October. Beginning of last week an extremely powerful taiphoon hit the southern shores of Korea and created havoc. More than 90 people died. It was the most powerful taiphoon to ever hit Korea in over 100 years (since taiphoons are recorded). People live with this threat every year from June till mid October.

Yes, read about that one.

I guess these days the news about everything is published pretty much worldwide. Guess I'm still living 20 years ago in LOS when news about the outside world was often spotty at best.

Just becoming the old fart I always dreaded. :banghead:

Hi LL

Saw on the news last night very scary.

Our news tonight took a bit of a dig at the reporters..all out in the wind just about airborne..every second word was not heard..in other words they were saying thes reporters were crazy.

They cut back to a US studio and finish the report in detail ::

Would not like to be in a storm like that...ever.

My home is just outside of Washington DC. Isabel rolled through here from about 5PM Thursday through 2PM Friday morning. The amount of damage in my neighborhood was actually stunning considering the hurricane had weakened to a CAT 1 by the time it got here. Trees down all throughout suburban Washington DC. Water Treatment plant shut down, almost all grocery stores closed with no power, virtually no traffic lights working, shutters and shingles ripped off homes, etc, etc, etc...

I went out and tried to drive around this morning and it was remarkable seeing all these primary roads shut down with trees lying across them and power lines snapped every few blocks. I took a lot of pictures as I suspect nothing like that will happen in this area for many years to come.

My neighborhood just got power back a couple hours ago after 24 hours without. None of this would be that big of a deal for beachfront areas, but for people living just outside of the nations capital it has been quite an event.

i remember(at least)15 years ago we had a warning of a hurricane in the UK.

the weathermen laughed it off and said a few high winds were expected in my part of the world.

i know i walked home 4 miles that night admidst the wind and rain with structures and trees falling around me,it was not nice.

the next day the weathermen admitted their mistake and the final bill across the UK and France was in the Millions.

my car was wrecked and i had to pay thousands for the damage to my house.

act of god was the given cause and insurance didn't cover it...... :down:

We expect the next typhoon to hit Eastern Japan around Sunday night. Just now, at 12:54 JST a magnitude 5,5 earthquake jolted Tokyo. The center of the quake was some 80 kms below Tokyo and on the surface the quake could be strongly felt.

A real great weekend in the making. ::

Archived