White axed

check_bin_krap

Taken from Soccernet:

Withe axed as Thailand coach

BANGKOK, Sept 19 (Reuters) - Former England striker Peter Withe has been relieved of his duties as head coach of Thailand's national team after they were bundled out of the Olympic qualifying tournament.

A Football Association of Thailand official, who declined to be identified, told Reuters the FAT board decided on Thursday to suspend the former Aston Villa player until his contract ended in November after four years in the job.

'The suspension took immediate effect and he will be replaced by Brazilian coach Carlos Roberto Carvalho,' he said.

Thailand lost 4-1 to the United Arab Emirates in Dubai in an Olympic qualifying match last week and could manage only a 1-1 draw in the return leg in Bangkok on Wednesday.

Withe, who is overseas, declined comment until he was notified officially by the Thai FA.

'I don't know what you're talking about,' Withe told Reuters when he was asked by telephone to confirm his suspension.

'I can't comment on anything I don't know yet. Until I know officially. I will be back in Bangkok in five days.'

The Thai FA extended Withe's contract in January -- at a salary of 600,000 baht (£9,000) a month - after Thailand won the Southeast Asia Tiger Cup in Jakarta.

After taking over a team in disarray in 1998, Withe also took Thailand to a gold medal at the 1999 Southeast Asia Games and reached the World Cup 2002 qualifying rounds for the first time.

I can't really see that getting in a Brazilian coach will help Thailand. They have always been crap, and White improved on previous results.

Says check_bin_krap:

I can't really see that getting in a Brazilian coach will help Thailand. They have always been crap, and White improved on previous results.

There was a constant rumour that Withe didn't go well together with the FA board, so I'm not that surprised it finally happened. :(

Archived