Generic print cartridges safe?

Palatkik

I?ve tried refill injet ink and been in trouble ? a waste of money as they didn?t work or leaked so went back to the expensive brand names (HP etc).

There are also completely built copy cartridges in Bangkok like Lanota and PowerCartridges at half the price of brand names. Has anyone tried these and noticed any degradation in output quality or hardware problems?

I read recently brand name inkjet ink works out at over 5500US$ a gallon based on current cartridge prices!

I've found if you only use them you'll have print head problems before long, they get clogged quick and you lose quality. Also depends on the printer, epsons are particularly bad IMO, maybe alternating with one genuing cartridge and one generic or refill would prolong its life.

Hi,

I bought an Epson printer recently, but then discovered that original cartridges were quite expensive, so have been using compatibles since, at a fraction of the cost.

So far they've worked ok, although as others have said there may be problems later on with the print heads.

I think a lot of these printers lure you in with a cheapish price and then make their money by forcing you to buy expensive consumables.

Some of the latest ink jet printers now have 'chipped' cartridges preventing you using cheap compatibles although I read somewhere that this may be ruled illegal in the future.

Says Boo Radley:

Some of the latest ink jet printers now have 'chipped' cartridges preventing you using cheap compatibles although I read somewhere that this may be ruled illegal in the future.

I had mixed experience with our HP printer in the office, therefore I'd would to recommend to try different makers. A test in the German computer magazine C'T showed that some inks are even better than the original ink!

I have been using generic print cartridges now for around 18 months on my Epson 680.

I used to have to chip them myself but now I can source pre-chipped cartidges to use for around 1/5th of the regular Epson price.

The quality so far has been pretty good and I have yet to suffer any problems with my print heads etc, so all in all even if I were to suffer any problems now, then I can just go out a get a new printer with the money I have saved on the cartridges.

I would just try to research a few brands that are pretty popular (I use Jet Tec in the UK) as I am sure that the quality could vary dramatically.

Archived