Body Snatchers of Bangkok

Torneyboy

Says torneyboy:

Hi Lp

You make some good points.

I think it gets back to .......TIT
:dunno:

nothing is just "TIT". i don't like that term. there is always a reason for things. it just takes often more than a bit of personal experience to understand those reasons.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

Ok .....but outsiders looking in do not have much to go on.

And we/they fall back on TIT.

I am more interested than most as i have a thai wife and family in BKK...and we intend to move at some point and live in LOS.

I like to learn all i can about LOS and this is another part of the journey.

Not a pleasant one i might add.

>>>And we/they fall back on TIT.<<<

problem i see with that term is that it leads to mental laziness. like all those longterm expats you see here. everything for them is "TIT" ... blablabla... but behind that is often just pure laziness.

>>>I like to learn all i can about LOS and this is another part of the journey.

Not a pleasant one i might add.<<<

well, i believe it to be very pleasant to get a deeper understanding about the place i live. just get the idea out of your head that thailand is some sort of paradise with friendly people and lots of buddhism and all that...

this place is a country with lots of problems, but nevertheless, a place, if you do it right, you can create a brilliant lifestyle for yourself.

well, i believe it to be very pleasant to get a deeper understanding about the place i live. just get the idea out of your head that thailand is some sort of paradise with friendly people and lots of buddhism and all that...

this place is a country with lots of problems, but nevertheless, a place, if you do it right, you can create a brilliant lifestyle for yourself.

Hi

Do not have a problem with Buddhism...i spend more time at our temple than most...and enjoy talking to the Monks...we are always the last to leave.

Lifestyle is what we are after ...long term.

Back on topic.

We have a thai student living with us ..goes back to bkk on monday.

Asked him about all this and after some time and talk about insurance ...just said crazy in thailand...is lawyer in LOS and will come back to do masters next year.

Also said something about a ""new""project where you pay 30thb for a doctor visit including medicine....not if need an operation however.

So are there moves in place to improve medical services in BKK/LOS?

well, only thing i can say is that spending lots of time in the temple will not help you much in managing daily life in thailand. it would be rather similar to a thai spending a lot of time in a church here in order to get a grip on the west.

i am afraid that some aspects of modernity has reached even the last village here already, and buddhism might play an individual motivation for people here, but that's about it.

don't get me wrong here please, but in order to have a good life here it is not helpful to run after an illusion - daily reality here is as far from buddhist ideals as daily life in the west is from the serm of the mount.

I read an article about them ages ago, it mentioned that 'the body snatchers' are almost in 'competition' with people who drive around in a similar fashion waiting for an ccident....but not to help the victims, but to rob them of their belongings. Or perhaps it was just generally a problem with bystandrs who seize the 'oppportunity' to grab some booty before anyone arrives on the scene. Forget the details.

However, doesn't Bkk (or is it Thailand) thaty has the highest road death rate in the world, something like 70-80,0000/year? More than a few chances per day for some dud to get rich of the dead.

True or not?

Having volunteer services to go out and pick up bodies dead or alive is NOT an EMS system where objectives and accountabilities are established. All it is is a collection and transport; nothing more.

What takes place is similar to how waste materials (recyclables) are collected. You have a bunch of independent scavengers trying to fill the void left vacated by the city/county.

If that is BKK's EMS sytem described by the recent documentary and also a recent newspaper article, then BKK is much closer to a third world country EMS than a first. In due fairness, it is no EMS at all. And the thai gov needs to recognize that rather than pass off a collection/transport service as someone taking up their responsibility.

And that is not a knock of the volunteers but a lack of accountability by the thai government to be responsible for its citizens.

Stories like these just reinforces that life is cheap in LOS.....

Cardinalblue

Stew,

I also saw an article in the BKK Post (I belive it was a london based research group) that thailand garnered first place honors irecently n vehicular mortality (worldwide).

I wonder how that rate would be effected if they had even a decent/average EMS system in place given their status as a newly industrialzed country. This would impact even on a greater scale medical emergencies at home or elsewhere...

On the one hand, it keeps medical costs down by having people died prematurely, but then private hospitals are missing out on alot of revenue on paying people who could have been saved by proper and timely emergency medical care......

Cardinalblue

>>>If that is BKK's EMS sytem described by the recent documentary and also a recent newspaper article, then BKK is much closer to a third world country EMS than a first. <<<

now, that took you a while to figure out that thailand is much closer to a third world country than to a first.

>>>You have a bunch of independent scavengers trying to fill the void left vacated by the city/county. <<<

don't be insulting - they might be the people who could save your live here one day.

and no, they are not "independent scavengers". they have clearly defined areas of operation and shift duties, work closely with the police and other authorities, have their radio code licenses, have shift duty books in which attendence, time and incidents are reported.

>>>Stories like these just reinforces that life is cheap in LOS.....<<<

no, definately not. stories like these show that there are people who do care a lot about their fellow human beings.

Archived