Body Snatchers of Bangkok

Torneyboy

Says bahnawk:

I've heard rumours they practice euthanasia in extreme cases. What do you think?

i have never heard or experienced anything like that. of course i have heard the rumors, but that's what they are.

on the topic of euthanasia though in such cases. i personally am against keeping people alive artificially, especially if they are so messed up in an accident that they will not survive, that their last hours will be nothing than a nightmare of pain. but that is a decision which should be only permitted to make by a doctor - not a rescueworker.

but anyhow, i don't think that this is happening, and if, it would be the same as in every country in the world. some people might do it out of compassion at times, but obviously that would be something they would keep for themselves.

i do know that some doctors in germany do that at times as they have offered that service to my father before my mother died. fortunately she died before she was in so much pain that such a step would have been necessary.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>How long do they stay on as a volunteer?

I can only guess some would drop out after the first night...due to the horror of it all.<<<

some of the more fainthearted do drop out of course. for a lot of young guys it is very cool to be a poh teck tueng volonteer, the status which comes along, the exitement. when that coolness has worn off the come less and less. other stop when they start families and their jobs become too demanding.

many though stay on forever. i know some who have done that more than two decades.

the important thing is how the heads of the different outfits deals with his people. he has to keep a tight ship, has to be respected. there are of course numerous occasion during that work where people could abuse the status of being a volonteer, so he has to make sure that his people are trustworthy, and must have the necessary pull to get rid of the bad apples before they can do any harm.

also, their work brings them regularly into very bad parts of town, ganginfested areas, and they have to pull out injured sometimes during ongoing conflicts. for that they have to have to be feared enough that poeple won't attack them, and if some gangs try to look for trouble (which they do at times) they have to strike back swiftly to keep the respect. for that you need volonteers who are not cowards.

people might wonder why the rescuevolonteers always appear in force, one of the reasons is protection. one never knows what expects one if a radio call is coming.

i remember one call which was classified as an motorcycle accident with one injured. when we arrived it was a slumparty gone wrong, and the injured person turned out to be a corpse, killed with a machete slash over his head, brain hanging out. two very enraged parties of each about 50 people were facing each other. we got the corpse out very fast, even the cops pulled out. you can only do that relatively safely if people are scared of what you might be able to do to them.

this sounds all a bit like lawlessnes, but the problem is that thailand is very violent, the volonteers have not created the situation as it is. what they have to do is walking a very thin line here to be able to work efficiently in such an environment. and IMHO they do that very well.

this sounds all a bit like lawlessnes, but the problem is that thailand is very violent, the volonteers have not created the situation as it is. what they have to do is walking a very thin line here to be able to work efficiently in such an environment. and IMHO they do that very well.

If i didnt know better you could be describing a war zone.

The job they are doing is just unbelievable..and heart warming at the same time.

I can see why they go in numbers now....

Are or have there been injuries to volunteers just doing their task?

>>>Are or have there been injuries to volunteers just doing their task?<<<

a year or so back one volonteer of a group i was with was stabbed and beaten up by a neighborhood gang while going home early.

but that's all i gonna say about that incident... ;)

Says lazyphil:

<<killed with a machete slash over his head, brain hanging out>>

Enough!!!...I'm trying to eat my lunch
:cover:

shall i describe a week old stiff in that climate here...? :devil:

Archived