Perfect Pattaya Hotel - help please

torrenova

I'm getting picky on hotels again and hope you guys can fill in some of the gaps so that I can choose the best hotel for my upcoming trip.

Stayed at the Residence Garden a few times. Many good things about this hotel but a few downers. It has no bathtub (which I would like) and its location can become wearsome after a few days, with multiple trips back and forth each day. Also, the food is not good. However, I still class it as very good, especially through the FLB at Bt1350.

Here's a list of requirements, both absolute and desirable.

In room electronic safe - absolutely must have.

Location - nearer to Walking St than RG, not Soi 2, preferably around Soi 13/14 ish.

Pool - should have.

Balcony - preferable.

Bathtub - would be nice, but shower imperative.

Clean - no shit holes please.

Price - up to about Bt1500 per day.

Of all the above, it MUST have the electronic safe, so if you guys know one, please post it up.

Thanks.

PS, was going to stay in Sandy Spring but alas, no in room safe !

I fully agree with you about the desirablility of an in room electronic safe and this has caused somewhat of a quandry for me as many places I want to stay don't have them. One solution I am thinking of trying is to use a "Pacsafe" http://www.pac-safe.com/ Around where I live, they sell them at REI, but they can be purchased on the net too. Anyway, these are portable safes (bags) that have a steel cable mesh liner that can be locked closed around a pipe or piece of difficult to move furniture. While not entirely theftproof, I think they would effectively prevent casual theft of small items like passport, camera, money.

Mongatu,

Thanks for that. I looked at these a while back when I was going travelling by train overnight and decided against it. I know it would do the job and perhaps I would if I stayed in the likes of the Nana etc.

This is the way forward and for the life of me, I cannot understand why the Sandy Spring (which fulfills all the other criteria) did not install room safes.

Hopefully there are some out there or it might be a toss up of the RG or Sunshive Vista.

Says Mongatu:

IOne solution I am thinking of trying is to use a "Pacsafe"
Around where I live, they sell them at REI, but they can be purchased on the net too.

I always use the PacSafe, both the small model that easily holds wallet, passport, digital cam, etc., and also the large metal "nets" that wrap around my suitcases. It would take some cutting tools to break into these things and they are easily secured to things such as plumbing fixtures, metal beds, pipes, etc.

About these PacSafe things - not sure they are such a good idea. Last December while staying at the Orchid Hotel in AC (BTW, this hotel has in-room electronic safes) two sanukers I was regularly hitting the bars with had a problem because of these that could have turned out very badly for them.

Both had used pacsafe like bags to secure their expensive camera equipment to the toilets in their rooms. Guess one of the maids got suspicious and thought they might be bombs, so heavily armed police were dispatched along with the local bomb squad and the hotel evacuated? When my friends returned to the hotel that afternoon they were of course wondering what the hell was going on. They soon found out when they had to do some serious explaining while looking down the barrels of full-auto assault weapons.

They were able to clear things up, but needless to say it was a tense situation. The incident was serious enough that the story made the local newspaper there.

ST

Says short-time:

About these PacSafe things - not sure they are such a good idea. Last December while staying at the Orchid Hotel in AC (BTW, this hotel has in-room electronic safes) two sanukers I was regularly hitting the bars with had a problem because of these that could have turned out very badly for them.

Both had used pacsafe like bags to secure their expensive camera equipment to the toilets in their rooms. Guess one of the maids got suspicious and thought they might be bombs, so heavily armed police were dispatched along with the local bomb squad and the hotel evacuated? When my friends returned to the hotel that afternoon they were of course wondering what the hell was going on. They soon found out when they had to do some serious explaining while looking down the barrels of full-auto assault weapons.

They were able to clear things up, but needless to say it was a tense situation. The incident was serious enough that the story made the local newspaper there.

ST

Damn!! I thought that the biggest problem would be forgetting the combination/losing the keys to the lock.

From what u describe, the Lek hotel on Second Road/Soi 13 might be suitable/acceptable. Paid 1400 for a very large room, might call it a jr. suite. Large bathroom with tub and separate shower (large ::), in-room safe, restaurant, pool, tv, fridge, sofa, chairs, table. Nice room and location wasn't bad. I think the website used to advertise the older rooms for about 700-800. Guest friendly, but will check/hold guests' ID.

Archived