Some info re Sanuk in Koh Samui

Coloseum

I plan on going to Koh Samui for 5 or 6 days. can someone

advise as to the sanooking. Its not that I expect too much.

A hotel recommendation will also be appreciated. I'm

thinking on spending 100-150 U.S a night for the hotel.

Which of the beaches in Samui is closest to the sanook scene?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Just got back from there days ago.

Same as BKK, or Pattaya. Many bars, and all that I saw were available for take-out. In fact, had to fight many off with a stick. I stayed in Lamai.....one main street, with beergarden-like groupings of bars. 2 having around 15-20 bars. The larger Chaweng Beach, just up the road, had a bigger selection. Talked to many of the girls, and many come from Korat. Seems to be a connection to there, for some reason. Was in 2 bars that had girls starting their first night there, both from Korat, and having a connection to girls already working there. Just an observation on my part, which was limited.

Chaweng Beach is much larger, and did not spend as much time there, but same senario. Will take you all of 5 minutes to get laid in either town. Quality of girls seemed to be a little less than BKK, but I did find some real lookers. Attitude was excellent. Real party mode, and very friendly. I did not pull from there, as was with tirak, but managed to escape for quite a few hours while there, and was able to survey the scene quite well.

Side note: Very little is open before 12 noon. I mean anything. Not just bars. Transport is very expensive after 6pm, so rent a motocycle to get around. Songtao from Chaweng to Lamai is 200 baht after dark. :(

I stayed a Pavillion Resort, junior spa suite. Awesome.........enter your personal courtyard to a jaccuzzi with king sized day bed, before even entering room. Can have resort massuse come to your room to give massage, or just have tirak strip down, and do for you. I elected the later... ::

Pool is great, restaurant very good, and can hear a pin drop at night......except in my room.......... :grinyes:

HT

PS..just re-read your post. $150/night? Why? I paid 14,000 baht for 3 nights. You can pay more, but why? Great deals out there for much less, and by paying more, willl tend to take you out of the Sanuk action, geographicly, but not in all cases.

HT

I prefer Lamai beach rather than Chaweng, although easy to get between the two during the day. Nightime transport is very different and as HT said, vastly overpriced.

Watch out too for lack of ATMs in Lamai - were none on my last trip (2 years ago) but I heard that they now have one in Chaweng. Otherwise, you have to go to Nathon.

No real place to burn money in Samui, except perhaps Le Royal Meridien Baan Taling Ngam at about USD 200++ per day (but it is really couples only). I've stayed at the Pavillion as per HT and its quite good, at the end of the main road in Lamai so not as noisy as in the middle of the action. It has a nice bar too. See this map for info http://www.samui.org/map/map-c3.html

Be careful about prices which vary widely between operators. For instance, the Spa at the Pavillion is listed at Bt7000 per day on the website above - ask HT where he got his price.

As for girls, its mostly concentrated on beer bars but none the worse for that. Very relaxed and easy going. I'll certainly be back.

>>>>Holy shit! All you guys like to spend your baht on lodgings.<<<

Island hotels are always more expensive. More remote, so all supplies must be brought in by air/sea, electricity is more expensive, etc.

I did spurge on this place because only going to be there for 3 nights, and had huge jaccuzzi in room. And it worked :: Got my GTG to lose her bathing suit for some great pics. :grinyes: But I'm getting ahead of my ongoing "trip report" here.....

I got my 14K baht rate for 3 nights, because of an internet special (7k per night for junior spa room/stay 2 nights, get 3rd free).

HT

>There's plenty of ATM's all over Lamai and Chaweng these days.

Even McD, BK and Pizza Hut have arrived.

November last year, a large shopping mall was open. Large Lotus + everything one can find in BKK.

Suzuki jeep is 850B to rent, no insurance. With insurance, 1400B.

I took a car from BKK and it was of great value. Especially when I took the canopy off and loaded the tray with Thais and buckets of water - it was Songkran.

Bikes 150B to rent.

Archived