Nation article on visa renewal update?

Palatkik

people have been known to get into trouble with that kind of service. it was never really intended to be used that way, more like if you can't come to your next consulat or embassy and curier your passport in, not for being too lazy to get your visa.

one guy i know got into trouble, not because of fake visas, but the service forgot that for the country he "applied" in he had no entry or exit stamps, which he should have had. cost him a lot of money to sort that out.

that was though way before the crackdown.

very stupid to advertise something like that as "legal".

people should just use common sense.

visas are there for a certain purpose. rules are there for how to apply to certain visas, even if you don't agree with them - they are there (and i do not agree with them, but who am i to be able to fight the systhem?).

there are certain shortcuts, safer ones and very dangerous ones. the relatively safe one for example if one lives and works here, but cannot get a workpermit is to apply for simple tourist visas in embassies of neighboring countries (IN PERSON!!!), not nonimmigrant visa as its pupose (apart from the marriage one) is just for business purposes, or to apply for a workpermit. that is not that legal, but it is highly unlikely that one gets more than a slap on the fingers even though the law could be rather extreme if caught working on a touris visa .

going the other way of using those services i always thought as very stupid, shortsighted and dangerous on a longterm base. even more than ten years ago i knew many people who lost their passports when one of those services were busted. and lots of other stuff.

I read in there about SIngapore denying back to back tourist visa's. I have never heard about that and indeed this year was able to get one without a problem. Anyone know more about that?

since i have been here the singapore embassy had the reputation of being very difficult for visa runs. as well as the hong kong embassy (who refused me a tourist visa 8 years ago), and kota baru which only issued a tourist visa if you had only one previous thai visa.

so, nothing new there.

the "good" places in my visa run days were penang, KL, calcutta and later also phnom penh.

I asked about that at the Sing Embassy about 3 weeks ago when they gave me a 60day tourist visa. I was told I could not apply for another until I had spent 2 months out of Thailand once I used this one up. Not sure if they assumed I would stay the full length of the visa they had just issued though.

Interesting to know how you got around this?

I must have gone before this rule came into effect then; it was just before the sars thing when I went. I just showed up and filled out the app and it was done the next day. I've been doing back to back tourist visa's for a couple years now without incident, but usually go to vientiane.

U.S. citizens do not get entry or exit stamps from The U.S.

Most visas to Thailand in the U.S are issued by mail as it could be a thousand miles to the nearest Thai embassy from many places. What if you are working in a place that does not have a thai consulate and you are going to go to thailand for 2 months vacation. If tha passport is mailed from an in country address and back to in country address I do not think they look what is your current visa status nor could they read the language many times.

I have also had travel agents take my passport into the consulate and get the proper visas for me.

Says flyonzewall:
people have been known to get into trouble with that kind of service. it was never really intended to be used that way, more like if you can't come to your next consulat or embassy and curier your passport in, not for being too lazy to get your visa.

one guy i know got into trouble, not because of fake visas, but the service forgot that for the country he "applied" in he had no entry or exit stamps, which he should have had. cost him a lot of money to sort that out.

that was though way before the crackdown.

I am unsure from what you write if you read the Nation article, but the gist of the story was foreigners applying for Thai visas overseas by mail whilst they sit waiting in Thailand. The Nation puts this across as legal! I agree with your comments on mailing elsewhere however.

Cheers,

Archived