Malaysia

gobbledonk

Hi Guys,

I think I've mentioned that one of my ambitions is to visit almost every Asian country at least once. When I return from Jakarta post Xmas, I will start planning my next Asian adventure for 2004 (probably Vietnam). Places like Flight Centre are currently pushing Malaysia (understandable given Bali's recent problems), but I tend to think of it as 'beautiful but boring'. I have no issues with Islamic law, but it doesnt exactly go hand-in-hand with good times :(

The upside is that KL is a modern, clean city and Malaysians seem reasonably friendly toward pasty white boys like myself. I couldnt find anything in Reg Sanuk re Malaysia over the last month - anyone have any recent experience of the place ?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

Back in 98' on my first Asian trip I flew into KL, took in the Cameron Highlands following my dads footsteps as he was here in the 50's in his Navy days, more precisely a Submariner. Langkawi is very beautiful and I stumbled onto this gem of an Island here with the most beautiful freshwater lake within it, I'll try and remember the name for you???.....Malaysia is a very beautiful place to visit and the people are from my brief time among them very friendly. Sorry but no 'sanuk' info but on a later visa run from LOS to Penang I saw some not so attractive freelancers. I was saying how friendly the natives were but I remember the guest house I stayed in was run by the most obnoxious bunch of Chinese guys, all brothers maybe but totally charmless bunch :banghead:

In spite of the fact that Malaysia is an Islamic state and Indonesia is a secular one, I find that the day to day life in Malaysia feels more secular. I was in KL for two weeks this spring and it was a week before I even heard the adzan. This I'm sure is related to the fact that Muslims are not an overwhelming majority and that people tend to have access to better public education. As far as hiburan (sanuk) it tends to be pricey, perhaps because most of the sex workers are imported from Indonesia, Thailand, and China. Probably not the best destination if sex tourism is high on the itinerary, but a great place for so many other reasons.

Hi Adik,

Sex aside (!), I'm sure that Malaysia has many cultural delights : my fear is that the increasingly hard line Muslim elements (which, to be fair, can be found throughout Asia) would seek to close down whatever nightlife currently exists. After all, if drinking and coveting thy neighbours wife are against the rules, why have bars and nightclubs at all ??

Back in the 80's, I knew a fantastic young Chinese woman from Malaysia - she came to Oz to do her Law degree - even back then, her main fear was that her fellow Christians would be persecuted in an increasingly Islamic country. Perhaps Mahatir has learnt to tread that fine line between religious tolerance and appeasing the hardliners - time will tell.

They don't have a problem with fundemetalists in Malaysia. Or to be fair fundemantalists don't feel the need to resort to political violence. Klanten is a hot bed for religious conservativism, but it got that way by democratice elections and political persuasion. Malaysia has generally been intolerant of fanatacism and unfortunately 911 gave them an excuse to dust off the Internal Security Act. If Matahir wasn't such an opportunistic anti US mouth-piece and if not for the policy of prefferential treatment for Malays I think Malaysia would be held up as the model islamic state instead of Turkey where the imprison children who have Kurdistan on their lips and reporters wear vests that say "dont club me," evidently the police cant read there. Certainly there are tensions in Malaysia and South Asians and Chinese would come up on the short end, and don't ask a Vietnamese boat person about the warm greetings they got in Malaysia, but over all they aren't doing bad.

KL does not really have any sort of an Islamic feel to it, IMO.

I was last there about 2 years ago. The discos and bars I saw were very much unlike what's available in Thailand -- they felt almost western, kinda like they do in Singapore. I did not partake of sanuk at those venues but I didn't see all that much that was obviously on offer (not because of Islamic stuff, just because it wasn't obvious and my eye is not trained on spotting the FL options in a Malaysian setting).

I asked a taxi driver to take me to some girls. He took me to a hotel perched high atop a large parking structure where they brought me into a room and then brought in a few groups of different types of girls while I sipped on a beer. I ended up having a nice fuck with a decent looking mainland Chinese girl with great tits. I recall the cost being about double that in Thailand, maybe US$75-$100.

I think you arguably could have more fun sanukwise in KL vs. Vietnam.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi ArtieW,

Put in a search for my post a while back entitled "Kuala Lumpur Sanuk Report". It will have some information you may find useful. Sanuk scene is kind of depressing there really. Some nice girls to be found, but always get the impression they are there against their will, and not very happy or friendly. Always seem to want to 'get it over with' quickly, if you know what I mean. Avoid Penang at all costs! Fly P.

Archived