Football Songs

gobbledonk

Says sayjann:

'who the fuck are Man United' is a crowd favourite when we score...
:up:

We dont' fancy that song much so that's we made sure the last 2 times we were at OT they didn't have reason to sing it. :: :down:

We sing this one when we play Tottenscum Hotsperm

"...who's the club in red and white, who's the club that we adore, who's the club's that's dynamite, Glen Hoddle's * wife's a whore "

* or whomever is the Scum manager.

Artiew, see what you started.

BTW, I have my own unique chant for RVN @ Man Utd here in the states whenever I see him plays 'Ruud can kiss my black Yank ass!' no particular tune ::

I will grudgingly say though that the OGS song to the Ricky Martin song is kinda creative. Even if he is a cheating scum manc that got Saint Sol sent off.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

too many chants to mention from my glory days on the terraces in the 80's but the best ones were the sickest - lots of references to man u and munich

to the tune of "daisy daisy give me your answer do"

man u, man u , went on an aeroplane

went to munich and never came back again

they went on a DC7

and now they're all in heaven

and you'll look sweet

under the seat

of an aeroplane cut in 2

and to the tune of : "jesus loves the little children" ( i think-not a memebr of the god squad so im not too sure)

who's that dying on the runway

who's that dying in the snow

it's sir busby and his boys

making all the fucking noise

cause they couldn't get their aeroplane to go

just a few of the sick chants that were heard every week at the milton road end.

our famous ( but unoriginal ) chant is

knock knock ( one loud mouthed docker)

who's there ( the whole of the milton end)

owen ( same docker)

owen who ( all the milton end again)

oh when the saints , go marching in ...............( the whole ground minus the 1500 away fans)

usual chants against us

" good team shit ground"

"scummer scummer"

" sheep shaggers"

more to follow when i have more time

Its mainly tradition, going to the matches with your dad, uncle, mates etc and learning the words. Although it sometimes does come up with some funny version because of misheard words.

I seem to remember reading a football history book a couple of years ago about songs and their origins. There have been songs about football clubs and players through the 20th century usually linked to popular tunes, to hymns or traditional folk tunes. At some point a club adopts a song and it becomes theirs. Blowing Bubbles ( published in 1919 ) with West Ham for example and Follow Follow for Rangers in the 1930s (?)

Early in the century lyric sheets were handed out at some clubs to promote the atmosphere and I think this mainly died out when club programmes became more widespread. Other off the cuff songs come and go as regulary as players now move.

heres a Rangers one for you

EVERY OTHER SATURDAY

Every Other Is My Half Day Off, And It's Off To The Match I

Go

Happily We Wander Down The Copland Road Me And My Wee

Pal Joe

We Love to See The Lassies With The Blue Scarfs On

We Love To Hear The Boys All Roar

But I Don't Have To Tell That The Best Of All

We Love to See The Rangers Score

Me Oh Me Oh Me Oh My - Oh How We Love To See Them

Try

But I Don't Have To Tell You That The Best Of All

We've won the Scottish League Almost Everytime

The League Cup's as simple too

We Give Some Exhibitions In The Scottish Cup

We Are The Cup Winners True

And When The Rangers Win The European Cup As We've Done

With The One Before

We'll Gather Round At Ibrox 50,000 Strong To Give The Boys An Ibrox Roar.

Me Oh Me Oh Me Oh My - Oh How We Love To See Them

Try

But I Don't Have To Tell You That The Best Of All

"but the best ones were the sickest - lots of references to man u and munich"

i'm disappointed in you sfcfan.

i may support MU and have many feelings about what happened in Munich,but any chants/songs which glorify in death are not funny.

so the think the best ones are about young men dying,sick fuck you are.....

i bet you could make up a good song about Marc-Vivian Foe dying?.

From what I understand its generally accepted (and rightfully so) that the Munich tragedy is off limits even to LFC and City fans. Arsenal has a song or two that references Tottenham as 'Yids' and although I've even heard Spur fans refer themselves as such as a term of endearment, I can't sing songs with the term. Blame it on my PC Yank upbringing. Strange thing is Arsenal is every bit as Jewish as Tottenham, in terms of the board and even local supporters to a certain extent as they are only a few miles apart.

Same with some chants wishing AIDS on Becks' children. My Red supporters told me of the racial abuse John Barnes (a black player) incurred. I guess we all have a line with regards to songs/chants, some people don't. Anything is fair game to some.

With regards to the original topic of creating new songs, my understanding is its best if its not too complicated. We're dealing with football supporters and yobs here, and a song that is as complicated as Handel's Concerto Grosso in B minor is ill advised. A popular tune or melody is best, with no more than a few lines, and not too many pauses for the instrumental...lol.

Guest lazyphil

<<Anything is fair game to some>>

Fact is the British are a twisted bunch of bastards--get them in a pack like a football ground and it gets very ugly, I thought once I'd like to take the mrs to a premiership game but i doubt she'd really enjoy it very much.....Or do Germans or Italians sing revolting songs like these to :: :dunno:

thanks for the comments Steve,it's good to see you support me in a little way.

sfcfan's comments incensed me and i had no intention of posting on any of the Football subjects again, the game is 100% better off with people like him.

i love the game and have done for most of my life,but stupid little c***t's like him ruin the game for me.

i remember when i first joined this Forum and the Football chat and there was another arsehole called Kobe Ringpiece who also thought it was funny that people had died in a plane crash.

i had many a run in with him and (i think) he was eventually banned.

i have calmed down and will continue to post on Footie,but that arsehole sfcfan will be totally ignored by me in future and anyone else who thinks Munich was funny..... :cussing:

OK - guys, I understand that this is an emotive issue and I should have known *better* than to post on the one thing which uniformly ignites Brits everywhere : football. I admire the passion which you guys put into your sport, but I believe that it also has a negative side. We arent as passionate downunder, but the upside is that we rarely see pitched battles between rival supporters (either in the ground or elsewhere).

For what its worth, I also think that singing songs that capitalise on tragedy is over the top - imagine if supporters made mention of the Bali bombing in a Rugby chant at the World Cup ? They'd be thrown out of the ground, if the crowd didnt descend on them first.

We went down this road with Kobe way back.

Let's keep it civil on both sides. No more references to the Munich tragedy and no more flaming responses or the thread is closed. Any questions? (No need to answer)

This is one of the more peaceful places on the board and I will ensure it stays that way.

i welcome your words Brink.

it is rarely i get really annoyed and have a go at people or call them names,in fact cannot remember when i last did so.

but the subject in question is emotive to many people,myself included.

let's hope the Football issues can be kept civilised in future.

i'm all for a bit of gentle piss-taking,but some things are too much.

Archived