Friday Meetings

khunsanuk

I think one other point that I have observed over the last few years is that those who live in BKK and those only in town for a few weeks have two very different agendas.

I do not live in BKK but have been lucky enough to have been a frequent visitor for the last two years. I go to as many Friday meetings as I can and have met many board and non board members. The guys who live there frequently talk about their business ventures and are not really interested in talking about the bars. The guys only there for a few weeks and particularly the newbies find it very difficult to join in to this conversation because they do not know anything.

As a regular I frequently find that I am sitting on my own for some of the time as people move around so much. Also, many people who say they want to meet me on the board fail to show up and keep the meeting, so it makes you wary of putting yourself out to meet someone.

I know that my friends will be there probably 'cos we have already arranged to meet there, so I talk to them. It is a great place to get to know people but it takes time to 'get into the groove' and is rarely achieved at one meeting.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just knowing where the meetings in the Bar are is a help.

I have been on two occasions on Friday nights going from group to group of people having a few drinks with them leading the conversation to a point where you can find out if they know about or are members of the Board to no avail.

The only member I know I have met is Stone Soup in another bar at another time.

Hope to catch up with a few more guys on my next visit. (and a lot more girls)

I'll throw my 2 cents in here, as I did finally attend a meeting on my last visit.

Very, very subdued. What many might expect is a grand gathering of NEP.com sanukers, who are shouting, "Oh my God, you are Fiery Jack! You look nothing like your pic? Dude, I loved your post on "xxxx", but that is not going to happen. I went there, and only ended up knowing 3 people. KS, and his wife, who were sitting across from me, and the guy next to me. Maybe 15 other people there, and had no idea if they were associated with the board, or not.

I was surprised at this. Very low key, but, not unpleasant. Had a nice talk with KS, and spoke a little with his wife, and another board member to my left. And we did speak of the board. And it's direction. I had a pleasant time there.

Two things you have to realize. 1st is that the number of expats there, will always outnumber the inbound tourists, by a large margin. After you've lived there for a while, a trip to Eden is old business. You are hyped up, but they are not. They've been there, done that, and they have moved on. Have settled into a life there, that causes them to have a much greater need to know what their electric bill will come in at, as opposed to what the current bar fine is at Big Dog's.

2nd is that there are ladies at the table. So much of what we feel free to discuss here, is really not suitable dinner conversation, with wives, and g/f's present. Because wives, and g/f's are welcome, is not really appropiate to discuss your 3some wild adventure the night before, in their presence. That is just a matter of world-wide class, and should be respected.

And there is also a 3rd factor.....maybe the most important, which may surprise many. Anyonimity is something many here, are desperate to preserve, and is protected there, if you desire. There is no pressure at all, to tell of your board name there. Quite unique, considering of the nature of the get-to-gether. I was never asked once, of my board name. I offered it voluntarily, as I'm an open book. ::

Expect people to come and go. And understand also, the diversity of our little group. German speaking members will tend to congragate, as will all other cultures. And as KS has mentioned, not all who attend, even participate on the board.

If going there, do not expect a blow-out NEP.com party. It's just a quite serious gathering of people, discussing many interests outside of the usual fare here. NEP.com Gullivers meetings, as I see it, is not a celebration of this board. It's an incredibly diverse group of individuals brought together for many more reasons, than just that. It's fairly serious in nature, so understand that, before attending, and you'll do fine.

User friendly? Much less than I would have expected, to be honest. So let's come up with ways to change that. Newbie protocal for induction into the group? Instead of bitching, let's find ways to work around the problem.

A sign-in sheet for newbie's, and each being given an opportunity to introduce themselves to the group, if they desire? 100's of possibilities here.

Let the suggestions roll. ::

HT

Hi!

2nd is that there are ladies at the table. So much of what we feel free to discuss here, is really not suitable dinner conversation, with wives, and g/f's present. Because wives, and g/f's are welcome, is not really appropiate to discuss your 3some wild adventure the night before, in their presence.

I find this slightly hypocritic as activities such as the aforementiond are in fact a very significant part of the board. After all these meetings are described on the board as meetings for Nana plaza board members.

If the wives g/fs are so sensitive persons it might be a good idea for their husbands/b/fs to consider not to bring them. I know I would never bring mine there.

A sign-in sheet for newbie's, and each being given an opportunity to introduce themselves to the group, if they desire? 100's of possibilities here.

Let the suggestions roll.

How about a toast master equiped with a very big stick standing at the entrance of the bar. Whenever a board member arrives he would bang his stick against the floor three times and announce the memeber by board name and board status. :neener::grinyes:

regards

ALHOLK

Says ALHOLK:

Hi!

How about a toast master equiped with a very big stick standing at the entrance of the bar. Whenever a board member arrives he would bang his stick against the floor three times and announce the memeber by board name and board status.
:neener::grinyes:

regards

ALHOLK

Get away.....that's MY job. :neener:

You can however lead the trumpet playing heralders. :rolleyes:

Just so we do it quietly, very quietly :shhh:

[color:"blue"]What many might expect is a grand gathering of NEP.com sanukers, who are shouting, "Oh my God, you are Fiery Jack! You look nothing like your pic? Dude, I loved your post on "xxxx", but that is not going to happen. [/color]

That's saved for the AGM. :grinyes::beer:

"A sign-in sheet for newbie's, and each being given an opportunity to introduce themselves to the group, if they desire? 100's of possibilities here."

could work & remember to make the newbie's sign for the table's check bin while the pen is out :neener:

seriously your description is spot on IME the few times I've been around on fridays :p

Says carew66:

In short they are fairly pointless as they are. Roll on the 19-21 December. I'll bring my electricity bills as a conversation piece.

So is Mao Mark going to read them for you ? :neener:

:beer:

Archived