visiting for 35-40 days

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

au contraire. P127

I HAVE been denied boarding with a one way ticket and no Thai Visa. This despite having a Chinese Residence Visa and work permit in my passport. Had to buy a another 'ongoing' ticket, duplicating the one that my boss had in Bkk for me. :banghead:

Since airlines are now financially responsible for returning you if, for whatever reason, you are denied a visa on arrival, most INSIST on either an ongoing or return ticket, or a valid visa in your passport. No doubt they got stuck for a few freebies by guys on the LOS blacklist.

Sorry, El Furioso LHL, i did not know that BGR only had a one-way ticket only, or maybe the topic has been extended without my paying attention? :neener:

PS: So, OK, off-topic: I have a few US friends who had annoying experiences with canadian customs, and practically insulting to their thai wives as they had to deal with canadian customs before boarding to US. Can you reckon?

Says pattaya127:

Sorry, El Furioso LHL, i did not know that BGR only had a one-way ticket only, or maybe the topic has been extended without my paying attention?
:neener:

PS: So, OK, off-topic: I have a few US friends who had annoying experiences with canadian customs, and practically insulting to their thai wives as they had to deal with canadian customs before boarding to US. Can you reckon?

Continuing the off topic....yup our customs immigration people are OFTEN real a..holes with Thai ladies...I got some stories. :banghead:

BTW, not sure if the OP has one way or not, but always easier with visa in PP. If your return is dated for 2 months from departure, airline may still refuse boarding, knowing you can only get 30 days.

Says LaoHuLi:

Since airlines are now financially responsible for returning you if, for whatever reason, you are denied a visa on arrival, most INSIST on either an ongoing or return ticket, or a valid visa in your passport. No doubt they got stuck for a few freebies by guys on the LOS blacklist.

From my own experience over the last five or six years, I'd say it's about 50/50 as to whether an airline check-in agent wants to see a valid Thai visa. I've always had one so I don't know whether it's possible to talk one's way around this requirement should some check-in agent decide to make an issue of it.

I HAVE been denied boarding with a one way ticket and no Thai Visa. This despite having a Chinese Residence Visa and work permit in my passport. Had to buy a another 'ongoing' ticket, duplicating the one that my boss had in Bkk for me.

Yikes! I go to the airport tonight with no visa! I am using the return leg of a ticket I bought BKK->SFO->BKK. Never had any problems before with this. Sure hope I don't tonight!

<<Depends on the nationality of the passport holder, but a 30 day on arrival visa can be extended 10 days for 1900B at any Thai immigration office.>>

Is the situation described below different from the one above?

According to http://www.thai-info.net/info/imigvisa.htm

"7. Applying for an extension for aliens who receive a visa upon arrival while in transit, including those who are exceptions to normal visa procedures, i.e. airline personnel

The above mentioned aliens do not normally receive visa extension except in special cases such as illness which prevents them from travelling, etc. Such persons in his category wishing to submit an application may do so at section 5 (other types of extension), Sub-division 2, Immigration Division 1, Room 205-6, 2nd Floor Old Building, Immigration Bureau, Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, Sathorn District, Bangkok 10120. Tel. 287-3127 or 287-3101-10 Ext. 2264-5."

This is correct according all the Offical sites I've read. The 30 day 'visa on arrival' is not normally extendable. But as in all cases the individual Immigration Officer has descretionary powers.

Would like to point out that a "visa on arrival" is not the same thing as "30 day entry without visa" which about 40 countries currently can receive (with an onward ticket) although many web sites will mix the two terms up. The old policy was that this (entry without visa) could not be extended (except with a letter officially requesting it from your Embassy), but in recent years it has become very common to allow a short extension.

Says lopburi3:

Would like to point out that a "visa on arrival" is not the same thing as "30 day entry without visa" which about 40 countries currently can receive (with an onward ticket) although many web sites will mix the two terms up. The old policy was that this (entry without visa) could not be extended (except with a letter officially requesting it from your Embassy), but in recent years it has become very common to allow a short extension.

Yes, this has always been confusing ,,, and remains so. You are correct, from what I can read. My apologises if I added to anyones confusion.......... I was referring to the "30 day entry without visa" . The 30 day 'visa on arrival' is issed to ???? Aircrews? not sure.

Archived