visiting for 35-40 days

Believe aircrews use a transit visa.

Below is the current "visa on arrival" list as posted on the official MFA Visa Page. This is like a normal tourist visa application at a Consulate or Embassy; but is done at the port of entry.

TEMPORARY TOURIST VISA : VISA ON ARRIVAL

- According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements, passport holders from 14 countries may apply for visas at the immigration checkpoints for the purpose of tourism for the period of not exceeding 15 days.

- The applicant must possess instrument of means of living expenses 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family accordingly.

- The applicant must produce instrument of means of transport (full paid ticket) which is usable within 15 days since the date of entry.

- Visa on arrival is provided at 23 designated international checkpoints and applicants should produce the application form to which his/her recent photograph (2 ½ inches) is attached. The application fee is 300 Baht.

- Visitors who enter the Kingdom with Visa on Arrival generally cannot file an application for extension of stay except in special cases such as illness which prevents them from travelling, etc. They can submit an application at the Office of Immigration Bureau , Immigration Division 1, Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120. Tel. (662) 287-3127 or 287-3101-10 ext. 2264-5 or at website http://www.police.go.th/frconten.htm

? List of 14 countries are as follow :

1. Bhutan : Kingdom of Bhutan

2. China : People?s Republic of China (including Taiwan)

3. Cyprus : Republic of Cyprus

4. Czech : Czech Republic

5. Hungary : Republic of Hungary

6. India : Republic of India

7. Kazakhstan : Republic of Kazakhstan

8. Maldives : Republic of Maldives

9. Mauritius : Republic of Mauritius

10. Oman : Sultanate of Oman

11. Poland : Republic of Poland

12. Russian Federation

13. Saudi Arabia : Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

14. Ukraine

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But if people instead are turned away by the high price and go home without extending, the plan will have backfired in a major way

They check the arrival date at the airport when you want to leave. If you overstayed then you will have to pay 200 baht per day (if I remember correctly).

Actually this is what I have done the last time: I just overstayed 7 days and paid the fine when I left. There was no hassle at all. It looks as if tourists overstay routinelly

Best regards.

You may also have a problem when you check-in for your flight to Thailand if your outbound flight is not within 30 days

Ok, I will tell you what I have done this year:

I bought a return ticket for thai airways, departure date 30 days after the arrival date. I didn't need a visa for this.

Once in Thailand I just asked the travel agency if I could stay a week longer. They changed the departure date for me and told me that I would just have to pay the 200 baht per day fine when I cross the custom control at the airport.

There was no hassle at all. And I wasn't the only one who had to pay the fine.

So you can overstay for some days without any problems at all. (I think the limit is 10 days, but I am not sure)

Best regards

Says naiv:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

You may also have a problem when you check-in for your flight to Thailand if your outbound flight is not within 30 days

Ok, I will tell you what I have done this year:

I bought a return ticket for thai airways, departure date 30 days after the arrival date. I didn't need a visa for this.

Once in Thailand I just asked the travel agency if I could stay a week longer. They changed the departure date for me and told me that I would just have to pay the 200 baht per day fine when I cross the custom control at the airport.

There was no hassle at all. And I wasn't the only one who had to pay the fine.

So you can overstay for some days without any problems at all. (I think the limit is 10 days, but I am not sure)

Best regards

OK Naiv........... no doubt many continue to do this. And you can stay as long as you want and pay on the way out of the country. 200 baht a day...20,000 baht maximum. Piece of cake, they even have a special line and room a the airport to do it in. :grinyes:

But if you get caught ANYWHERE in Thailand before you make it to that little room, and your visa is expired.............. you WILL go to jail, you will have to raise 150,000 - 200,000 bail, you will be convicted and, in time you will be thrown out. You may even be blacklisted.

So I guess it depends on how much of a gambler you are. :rolleyes:

So I guess it depends on how much of a gambler you are.

So the travel office in BKK deliberately proposed me to do an illegal act?

And then I believe to remember that the rules are even written on this piece of paper that you have to fill when you are entering. And it states that you can stay not longer than 30 days and that you have to pay 200 baht/day if you overstay. (I will verify it the next time).

If this is the case, then in Thailand, as in every constitutional state, they can't punish you more than what they told you before you commited the crime...

So your statement doesn't sound logical to me. Do you have any experience about it?

But I don't really know if you are right or not. I will try to find more info.

Best regards

On the same site as quoted above I have found the following phrase:

Those who come in without visa can extend the stay for additional 10 days.

Hmm, now I am totally confused.... ::

Best regards

Says naiv:

On the same site as quoted above I have found the following phrase:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

Those who come in without visa can extend the stay for additional 10 days.

Hmm, now I am totally confused.... ::

Best regards

AT the descretion of the Immigration Officer, and a 1900 Baht Visa extention fee ........... they MAY extend your expiration date up to 10 days. Normally only done in case of medical emergency, or extenuating circumstances. Not sure that Bar fining your sweetie long time would count. :grinyes:

It probably would only have been 500 baht at the time he was here and it has become normal, rather than an exception, to extend 30 day stay for 10 days. Although he might want to word the reason a little different than your example. ::

He got very bad advise from the travel agency.

Archived